whole corn for chickens

swamperkk

Songster
5 Years
May 8, 2014
i've been feeding my rooster and chickens crack corn for a while,i threw some whole corn with crack corn,they refues to eat whole corn,they are about 4 months old,has anybody feeding them whole corn?,and when do they start?

I feed mine whole and cracked corn, most of them do like cracked corn better (there are a couple of birds that like whole kernels better), but they will mostly all eat whole corn, even the bantams, don't know if there is really an age thing so much as being big enough to eat it and being hungry enough to eat especially it if they have other food sources available they like better. and Might just take them awhile to get used to it, start thinking of it as food, chickens are suspicious of new things, and whole corn does look different from cracked.

i've been feeding my rooster and chickens crack corn for a while,i threw some whole corn with crack corn,they refues to eat whole corn,they are about 4 months old,has anybody feeding them whole corn?,and when do they start?
I would recommend holding off on the corn until they're mature, so maybe around 23 weeks or so. It's hard for a teenage 16 week old bird to swallow the whole corn, which is probably why they aren't interested. Make sure they have access to grit because corn is harder to digest than most food. Hope that helps!
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom