Whole Corn Vs Cracked Corn, What do you use?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Joe.G, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I have always used Cracked Corn as a treat, I picked up a Bag of Whole Corn and the birds seem to love it, I feed it as a treat adn I also have mixed it with there Pellets.

I have Chickens, Gunieas,Peafowl,Pheasants and Pigeons, any issues with any of these birds eatting Whole corn?

How do you guys feed your corn as a treat?
    Mixed with there Pellets?
    Is corn all you feed?

Thanks

2. BYC-user-174785

BYC-user-174785 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    We increase corn intake during winter so that the birds fatten up for the cold months. My younger peachicks only eat whole corn. Tried cracked corn but they would not eat it. We do have a little grinding wheel that we use to grind corn. We typically have it cracked or grind it into a a flour substance because we do soak it when fed and the ducks especially love it.

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Whole corn here, to much waist in cracked corn, and the dust is not good for the birds.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    MIne get whole corn in their gamebird feed.

Game Bird TMC Mix

[​IMG]
    TMC GAMEBIRD MIX - Small Yellow Corn, R/C Oats, R/C Wheat, Red & White Milo, 28% Pellets, Safflower, Trapper Peas, 21% Protein Pellets, Small Black Oil Sunflower, Alfalfa Pellets, Charcoal.
    • Guaranteed Analysis
    • Protein, not less than 13.50%
    • Fat, not less than 4.50%
    • Fiber, not more than 5.00%
    • Ash, not more than 3.00%

-Kathy

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I feed whole corn daily to chickens- even silkie bantams. They LOVE them.

For me whole corn is cheaper (I feed organic whole corn from azurestandard) than the cracked org. corn from the feed store.

6. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Whole corn here, too. The chickens will eat cracked corn but the peas basically ignore it.

7. connerhills

connerhills Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    On the test I have seen over the years, it takes more energy for the peas to break down the whole corn than they get from it .. I use only cracked corn, but some cracked corns have had the gluten removed from it and you are only feeding the outside. A mill that cracks their own corn does not do this as a rule. Peafowl are difficult to change feeds on, but they will eat when they get hungry and learn to like about anything. Corn through the winter will make those yellow faces show up come spring and puts on fat which stores energy when cold out

8. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Right now I feed both, Guess I can keep mixing it or changing it up, the price is about the same, I just was not sure if whole corn was to hard on them.

I Def would like the Yellow to show more on my birds, I hope corn does the trick.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Mine also love rolled corn and I think it's easier for them to digest. I buy it for the ducks, so the peas get some every now and then.

-Kathy

10. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Watch out on using the corn. Never put too much out at a time because what the birds don't eat could spoil and attract raccoons. I think that was what triggered the start of our raccoon problems here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by