Whole Corn?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by team_realtree, Jan 9, 2010.

1. team_realtree

team_realtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Will chickens eat whole kernels of feed corn? Is it to big for them and will they get any nutritional value since they are so hard?

2. bigchickenman

bigchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Miamisburg,Ohio
    Yes ,My father always said that whole corn is great for chickens in the winter because it puts fat on them for heat.I always feed mine whole corn in the winter ,just give them grit at all times.Hope this helps you.

3. team_realtree

Jun 28, 2009
    Quote:do you find they have any trouble getting a whole piece of corn in there mouth?

4. millie481

millie481 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2010
    Marengo, Ohio
    Not at all...they'll more than llikely love it! Mine do [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  5. team_realtree

Jun 28, 2009
    Quote:ok one last thing....do I keep feeding them there layer with that or can I go to a full corn diet? Reason I ask is I have a combine full of it and would love to cut down on feed for the winter!

6. bigchickenman

bigchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Miamisburg,Ohio
    Yes they can eat it fine and I also keep a feeder full of lay mesh for them at all times.

7. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    My chickens get corn all year. For the last 9 years. Hum...has it really been that long.....does not seem that long. [​IMG]

8. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Quote:Corn is only 9 % protein and really isn't a well balanced food. You can add it to their diet, but I wouldn't go higher than 10 % unless you are feeding them a very high protein (like 20-24%) layer mash. Otherwise you risk them being malnourished and problems with egg-laying, cannibalism and diseases.

9. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    im glad you asked this question. i bought them cracked corn over whole corn because i was afraid they couldnt digest it or something

10. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    mine always eat whole corn from the hogs feed, or grain from the cows etc.. they always eat the spilt corn or pick through the grain before they do, i also feed it to them as a treat, or on rainey days so they have something to do other then crap on everything, (mine free rangs), an ol man up the road feeds nothin but whole corn and his seen healthly as well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by