Whole Flock has Bumblefoot!! Need FAST help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by matthewschickens, Jul 2, 2010.

1. I know... I am taking a break from BYC but this couldn't wait!!!

We noticed that one of our chickens had bumblefoot a while ago and we got help and did all of what the folks said [​IMG] It is not working on her but at least she looks a lot better in terms of her walking around [​IMG] I did a check today on the flock and saw that 2 others had it! I then did a random check of several birds and all of them had it!!! The only ones that didn't have it where ones I recently intergrated and 2 of those are older so I think they may be partially immune. I really need some help here folks!! I am looking for a treatment for 25 birds that I can apply all at once. I was thinking maybe there was something we could put in the water to help them but I am not sure! I have never dealt with this before and it is a shock! Also... What causes it? Is there a way that I can stop the spreading? Are the ones that are in there already that don't have it ok? Can it be transported through our hands to our chickens?

Also in the Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow part of it said:
    Inject swollen area with 1/2 cc penicillin. Does that mean that we put the needle in the bottom of the foot or in the swelling that is occuring in between the feet?

Thank you all for your help!!

Matthew

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry, you can't treat them all for bumblefoot at the same time--honestly, it's not something that usually responds to injectible antibiotics. For a staph infection, they would have to be very strong, plus you need to get the infection out. I have had several girls with it at the same time (many times) and you have to treat them individually. We have done probably a hundred bumblefoot operations (rocky, thorny property here) and there has never been any satisfactory results from antibiotics other than packing the hole with neosporin type stuff.

It doesn't spread--it's an injury that has become infected with staphylococci. Staph is all over. Check all your roosts to be sure they aren't rough, but even a rock on the ground can scrape the foot and cause it. There are numerous threads on how to treat bumblefoot here-takes too much for me to type that much with my painful hand right now.

3. Thank you guys! So are you saying that I need to do as the chicken health handbook says or do I need to get the fish stuff or what? Sorry about your hand Cynthia! I hope it feels better [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thanks, but it's mainly carpal tunnel. Some days I can type and some I can't.

5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I just lost a chicken to what I thought was bumblefoot it wasn't some other infection in her foot. I would do the search and decide if the fish soak is right for you or doing the epsom salt soak and surgery. I would check your roost to make sure that they are smooth check where they free range for nails board ect clean up the best you can. but cyn is right even a loose rock will cause a cut that turns into bumblefoot. I talked to 3 vets and all of them said that antibiotics will not work on bumblefoot due to where it is and the kind of infection it is. Now some birds will develop a callous on there foot and you won't find a core on those. Good luck.

6. Thanks [​IMG] I have one more question... you say that it is a good idea to cut the foot open and drain it out. Well... Several of my chickens don't have that yet... Only the black spot on their foot. What do I do about that?
    Thanks!
    Matthew

7. schellie69

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    The ones that just have the black spot it could just be a callous not bumblefoot. I would see if there is any swelling or tenderness or sign of infection and then decide which course of action you want to take surgery or the fish soak. I have a couple of chickens with the black scab on their feet I am watching for signs of infection in them but so far the scab is soft and so is their pad I am in the wait and see mode. I was told if they are not limping or their pad is still soft to just watch and see if it becomes hard and starts to swell then its time to do the soak or surgery.

8. Quote:Thanks [​IMG] It looks as thought the bottom of the foot is a little larger... Do you think that has anything to do with it?

Matthew

9. schellie69

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Not sure I would do an Epsom salt sock one the one that has the swollen pad and do the surgery and see if you can get the core and puss out. one the one that has the swollen pad ad keep an eye on the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by