Whole Flock is getting sick!!Breathing, leg hurt, one chick down :(

SamwiseGamgee

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 11, 2011
We have 5 remaining chickens. I got them from a real sketchy place in the country. His pens were tightly packed and he had chicks running everywhere and in pens. Quail, ducks, guineas, rabbits, peacocks,pigs etc....
Our runt died. One mutt chicken has been limping and not putting weight on her leg for over a week, she is slow acting and tries to stay up under the bigger chickens. Both the mutt chickens, one white with green legs and 1 that has the coloring of a quail have not grown. The white one, (Beatrice) is usually rowdy and a heck of a bug catcher (we put them in the garden during the day and a box in the garage at night while we build the McMansion coop, but she is trying to stay under the bigger chickens and is not acting right, she seems to occasionally gasp. Today she started limping too. Margreth, the quail looking mutt chicken, who has not grown either, has a closed eye and sleeps all the time, preferably under a chicken but if they are not available she will just sit down and sleep. Her leg has been gimpy for a week. Now Catherine, a Barrdrock, who has grown normally it seems, is gasping and peeping, she is sleepy acting and just not herself. We have been putting Apple Cider Vinegar in the water, plenty of outdoor time and organic feed. My sisters can't take another chicken dying. What is wrong with them?

Thankyou! I googled Mareks and read the symptoms. The chicks with the limping are holding up the legs close to their bodies. We have one splinted with bandaid and toothpick. Mareks presents with leg outstretched so I am hoping that is not what they have. We just started them on antibiotics this morning in their water in case it is an infection but we are still not sure what it is.The only other symptom of Mareks they May Have is the gasping for breath. But it is not continuous. I wish we had a chicken doctor here.

BUMP for HELP! THey are seeming better, but I just want to know if I am combating this properly??

I have found myself in a similar situation - although minus the leg issues so far..... I have had a crash course in respiratory, hygiene and good nutrition. Here's what I've done. Hope some of this helps out your guys.

Best I have been able to determine the gasping and eye issues are pretty good indications of respiratory issues, treatment with either Tylan or Sulmet (if you notice any foul odor from the discharge their beaks) will give the best results and then look for lice/mites and treat if needed. I thought I had the respiratory under control then they relapsed and upon closer inspection found lice so hit those with Frontline. Birds are now bug free but will do a follow up at 10 days with Ivomec Eprinex for lice (and bonus of internal parasites as well). Will probably use Wazine first as based on everything else thats gone on, they are probably wormy also. Had one that had a weepy, bubbly eye so added Terramycin ointment 2x/day to her treatment and that helped a lot. If you notice any congestion VetRx seemed to provide some relief at night.

Have allowed them to rebound from one treatment before doing the next (going on 30 days now) and giving lots of fresh veggies, grass clippings and other greens as well as high protein feed additive and electrolytes/vitamins in water (when not administering antibiotics). Also kelp and some meal worms. Most, if not all of these items should be available at or able to be ordered by your local feed store.

Maybe you don't really want to but have you tried contacting where you got the chicks from to see if something is happening there too? I've never had a problem like that but you might want to watch the amount of vinegar they are getting, maybe try some molasses or agave nector for energy, but becareful if you are medicating it may react to vinegar and sugar???

Back
Top Bottom