Whole flock sick and not eating, Please Help

About15chickens

Chirping
Mar 9, 2022
I have 10 chickens that are around 5 months old. I have had 2 inside for the past two weeks for different issues. 1st one bullied to almost starvation, starting to perk up a little. 2nd one was limping for a week then couldn't walk. Brought her in and have been giving Poultry Cell and scrambled eggs. She is starting to stand a little.

The rest of the flock is very sick... I noticed Monday evening they hadn't eaten very much when I got home from work. They weren't interested in fresh grass clippings but ate a few blackberries and cherry tomatoes.
Yesterday they didn't touch their food all day but were drinking water. Everyone that's laying laid their egg like normal. Their poop was dark with a purplish red tint to it and extra gross. I added Corid to their water and most of them drank some. They went in their coop early and all had a lot of water in their crops. The rooster and one hen had a bit of a purple tint to the end of their combs.

This morning they all still had water in their crops. They didn't want to come out but when they finally did, they all went straight to the water. Several have that purple tint to their combs today. No interest in scrambled eggs. Just standing around the water barely moving. It's obvious they all feel bad. I added hydro hen to their water this morning as well.

The only recent change is I put stall pellets in their run because it had turned into a mud hole with all the rain we've had, and I got a metal hog feeder pan to throw their daily veggie scraps in. I did switch back to Flock Raiser because they wouldn't eat their laying pellets and were relying too much on scraps. So, two weeks ago I cut the scraps back to a minimum, almost none and started giving Flock Raiser and Oyster Shell. Girls inside are eating the same stuff with no issues.

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong and what I can do to help? The ones inside are fine other than the issues they already had. They have normal poop and are eating good. Thanks in advance, I apologize this post is so long. I want to figure out what I've done wrong and how to help our babies before we lose them.

It could possibly be a combination of sour crop and cocci.

For sour crop you need to start on mecanizole twice a day and for cocci, corid in their water for five days on, five days off and then five days on again.

Keep with the feed they like to eat, just make sure it's not moldy since it sounds like it's pretty wet recently where you are.

corid in their water for five days on, five days off and then five days on again.
The corid dose for treating coccidiosis is:
Treatment20% Powder9.6% Liquid
For 3-5 days1.5 teaspoons per gallon2 teaspoons per gallon
then for 7-14 days1/3 teaspoon per gallon1/2 teaspoon per gallon

When treating a bird for coccidiosis one can give an oral drench in addition to their medicated water. Here are the instructions:

9.6% liquid - Do not dilute
  • Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
  • Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

I would remove the stall pellets, as they could have eaten those. Can you have 1-2 of the dead bodies taken or sent to your state vet for a necropsy to look for a cause of death. Sorry for your loss.
I have been wondering about the stall pellets, but they weren't eating them. I watched them closely all weekend to make sure.
No one has passed at this point. I keep waiting to find one though. They seem pretty bad off this morning.

It could possibly be a combination of sour crop and cocci.

For sour crop you need to start on mecanizole twice a day and for cocci, corid in their water for five days on, five days off and then five days on again.

Keep with the feed they like to eat, just make sure it's not moldy since it sounds like it's pretty wet recently where you are.
Thank you. So far those are the two I've thought myself. I started corid yesterday and gave probiotics this morning. I will stick with the corid and look for mecanizole.

I have been keeping the food dry and changing it out daily. I have been watching for any kind of mold in their run.

Back
Top Bottom