WHole kernel corn?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Jan 25, 2009.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    DH bought whole kernel corn instead of scratch. He said the chooks adored it and wolfed it all down. Is it OK for them? They are all layers ie full grown.

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    It wont hurt them. We feed it to ours. [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I put it out for the deer and squirrels, (we are a Wildlife Habitat) and the chickens STEAL IT! Even though they get scratch. [​IMG]

4. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens wont eat whole kernel corn until all of the other feed is picked out [​IMG] They are spoiled I guess!

5. egggarden

egggarden Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Central Wisconsin
    Mine are nuts about whole corn. They will follow me anywhere...... Just make sure they have grit.

6. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Grit, oh yes, don't forget the grit [​IMG]

7. RedStickLA

RedStickLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    I only feed mine whole corn when it is going to be a really cold night to help them stay warm. I throw out a little late in the afternoon right before they all go in to roost for the night.
    Mitzi

8. PokingMyPancreas

PokingMyPancreas Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Middlesex County, NJ
    I give mine whole kernel corn every day before they roost so that they have something to snack on in the morning.

To a chicken, whole kernel corn = M&M's. It's like candy.

9. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    We have it out for our squirrels and stuff, the chickens eat it anyways. I throw them scratch on top of that, and the ducks prefer the scratch over whole corn... maybe its the wheat?! Either way, my lawn is covered in cardinals, squirrels and little snow birds all mixed in with chickens and ducks. Apparently, everyone in nature is eating well in our yard today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by