1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

whole kernel corn

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by joeymomrn, Nov 2, 2010.

1. joeymomrn

joeymomrn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2010
    Hi there:) Is there anyone who gives this to their flock? I bought like 80lbs of the stuff cause we make our own whole grain feed and I was switching to the whole corn (were using cornmeal before) and now my chickens won't eat it. I've tried soaking it overnight, but it doesn't seem to get much softer and they still won't eat it. I know I could just go and try to find a mill to grind it up for me but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions on how to get my birds to eat it. They eat everything else whole grain and have since they were chicks, like wheat berries, barley, oat groats, millet. I use the recipe from greenerpasturesfarm.com Any suggestions would be REALLY appreciated. [​IMG] Thanks

2. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

at 11 weeks, mine still won't even eat cracked corn. too big

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I buy cracked corn that I mix in my homemixed feed. They eat it happily.

I have a kitchen aid grain grinding attachment that works well for grinding wheat berries into flour. That is what I would use if it were me. An electric grinder.

Or take a rubber mallet to it inside a plastic bag- I've done that for peanuts when I was feeding younger chicks peanuts. I don't know how corn would react to that- would it shatter? I don't know.

Another idea is to put some in an old shower curtain and drive over it with your car (maybe that's just a dumb idea [​IMG]).

4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I'd try to crack it up some. The cracked corn I use has some kernals that are almost whole and mine have no problems with it.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine eat whole corn with no problem.

6. joeymomrn

joeymomrn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2010
    Thanks for the replys![​IMG] So for those of you who's chickens eat cracked or even whole kernel corn, are what age did your chickens start eating it? Our EE's are about 16 weeks+/- I think we will try cracking up the corn some to see, my dh was going to do that but hasn't yet.

7. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    We bought a bunch of corn from a feed store that went out of business very quickly because of landlord reasons. Hated to see him go because he was really close to us.

We bought the corn because we have hogs. They won't even eat it. So, I started cooking it. What a difference that makes! So I was thinking one day, with it soft maybe the chickens would eat it. Yep....they love it. I give it only as treat/distraction. I put a big canning pot on the stove about half full and put water to the top of the corn and add water as it swells up and cooks. Not going to waste this stuff!

I got out a grinder I had and tried to grind it....nope...would not grind. It sure is hard! About like black walnuts. It amazed me that the pigs would not eat it....they ate the peaches that fell off the tree into their pen...pits and all!

8. lauriej57

lauriej57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    We just picked up about 100 lbs from a local farmer, it was spillage that we scooped off the ground. My chickens love it. I don't give too much at a time, as I worry that the whole kernels will be hard for them to digest.

My 3 chicks who wre brood raised,15 weeks will eat anything, they have since they were about 4 days old. Mama hen taught them to do that. My hatchery chicks, in the 4 years that I have been raising them, never like to try anything new, it takes some time and patience, just give them a little bit every day, then suddenl, wow, they decide they like it.

9. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    It is like they are scared of new things you feed them....my main flock will eat anything. The girls in quarantine will not. They won't eat BOSS and they did not like the pumpkin. I don't think they were ever given treats. They will learn.

10. kakayona

kakayona Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    Stratford
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by