1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

whole kernel corn

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stronggirl, Oct 1, 2012.

1. stronggirl

stronggirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    A friend of mine told me that I should not be tossing out whole kernel corn (dried field corn) for my chickens to have for an occasional treat because "they r unable to digest it ". Is this true? Does it have to b cracked corn? They gobble up afew pieces and return throughout the day for afew more bites.

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Not true,

Chickens have a crop that acts like a "predigesting" system, the food is allowed to moisten some before interring the gizzard. The gizzard is made up of muscular walls that grind the food down to a digestible size. The gizzard also contains grit (stones) that help the gizzard grind the food by grinding against the food. The gizzard works very similar to a mortar and pestle.

Chris

1 person likes this.
  3. stronggirl

Sep 10, 2012
    Thanks, Chris. That's pretty much what I thought but wanted to be sure.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Your Welcome,

Another way you could look at it is, if a chicken can "eat" a rock and then grind it down to the point that it dust in there stool then a kernel of corn doesn't have a chance in there digestive system.

Chris

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Another plus to whole corn is it retains nutrition better than cracked corn. Once corn is cracked it begins to deteriorate. They can digest whole corn just fine & it's more nutritious than cracked corn.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    After watching my hen swallow a half grown mouse, I'm a firm believer in the power of the gizzard! They can digest darn near anything!

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I was always afraid to throw out whole corn to them but it sounds like it's ok. :)

8. stronggirl

Sep 10, 2012
    Well stated! Gave me a big smile!

9. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Well this is good too know, we found a relatively cheap source of whole corn, I have been feeding it to my turkeys as a treat, but I thought
    whole corn might be a bit too large for chickens, and I was going to try and find a method to crack some of the whole corn.
    Guess I'll try the whole corn with my chickens !!

10. stronggirl

Sep 10, 2012
    Mine gobble it up like its gold!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by