1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whole Oats as chicken feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OrChickenFarmer, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrChickenFarmer

OrChickenFarmer New Egg

May 13, 2012
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Can you just solely feed laying chickens whole oats? I just bought a 50 pound bag thinking I would use it as feed without evening knowing if it's ok. I would also feed them crushed egg shells as a calcium supplement.

2. SouthernAlberta

SouthernAlberta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    What is the percentage of protein in whole oats? I suspect it isn't high enough and that you'll need to add something else. Brewer's yeast? Quinoa? Soy? Seeds?

3. OrChickenFarmer

OrChickenFarmer New Egg

May 13, 2012
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Protein is like 17%

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    We offer whole oats (to the free rangers) along with BOSS and their layer feed. I keep a current feed list on our farms web site. It covers the chickens, ducks and geese.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You wouldn't want to JUST feed oats. But it makes a great addition!

http://japr.fass.org/content/3/3/253.full.pdf
    http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Feed_ingredients/Grains.html

http://www.asi.ksu.edu/p.aspx?tabindex=567&tabid=1065
    here is an expert's view

I feed oats mixed in to my mix.
    http://www.lionsgrip.com/feedinstruc.html
    here's another link

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
    2 people like this.
  6. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    No, you cannot feed solely oats. Protein content might be high enough, but it cannot possibly be a balanced diet. That's why chicken feeds contain multiple ingredients. Like people, chickens are omnivores and like people, they need a varied diet to meet all their nutritional requirements. You wouldn't feed a person a single type of food just because the protein content met the minimum daily protein requirement for a human. Beef for example, has more than enough protein for a person, but do you think a person would be healthy eating nothing but beef? Commercial chicken pellets might look as monotonous as a bag of oats, but they are not -- they contain multiple ingredients combined to meet all the bird's nutritional requirements, not just the protein requirements.

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I was told from an avian vet about what to feed chickens. He said once they start laying feed the laying pellets & some greens thats it. He said as you mentioned the feed has it all.

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    No, whole oats will not do as a sole feed. Regardless of the protein content it is not balanced as a sole feed and the oat hulls contribute far more fiber than a hen needs.

I used them for years as a scratch feed and mixed with corn and wheat when I was using the grain & mash feeding system. The birds will eat only so many of them due to the fibrous hulls.

For what it's worth there is NO single grain or combination of grains that can be made to work as a sole feed for layer hens They need more than that.

9. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Check out the article from the head of the SPPA in this months Backyard Poultry. He starts chicks at 6 weeks on 50% oats and claims they will learn to eat them & they don't make them fat. I know my feed guy says chickens won't eat a lot of oats, but mine seem to like them.

10. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Yes, Cindy, they definitely like them, but the point is that a diet of oats only is not sufficient. I, too, feed them in a mix of bird seed and scratch grains as a treat, but this is part of a varied, balanced diet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by