whole wheat vs white flour for thickening

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Linda in San Diego, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    I have whole wheat flour in my cupboard and in the last few recipes where flour was called for as a thickening agent - flour (made a roux), clam chowder (whip into the milk and add, bring to boil and it will thicken) - the recipes have failed to thicken like I expected....
    I have made gravy's and soups before - does whole wheat flour not have the same thickening properties?

Sigh

[​IMG] I dunno [​IMG]

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    White flour contains a higher gluten level than wheat flour. You'd be better off using arrowroot or corn starch as a thickener. Wondra flour is a surefire solution for all thickening issues. If you want to bake, or make some other highly glutinous thingy, with wheat flour, you can buy vital wheat gluten in a box. I have Hodgson's Mill brand. They have a number of milled foods in our W. GA grocery stores.

3. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    thanks - that is what I was beginning to think - the clam chowder tastes fine but the broth is still thin - cornstarch would just be wrong and I don't have arrowroot...so I will have to lay in some regular flour soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by