Whom to Keep - Who's The Fairest One Of All?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Reyvaughn, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Firstly, I Was Not Sure Where I Should Post This!
    If it needs to be moved, please do, mods! Thanks!

I obviously have horrible odds. I got 15 BAs from TSC, hoping at least 8 would be pullets. I knew early on that at least 7 were roosters and 2 were questionable. I gave one very obvious roo away to a friend and I sat back and watched to see who else would turn out to be male. I ended up with 6 pullets, 9 roos. Well, at least it wasn't one pullet out of the fifteen. So now, I am trying to decide who I am going to keep. Once my shed is done, I am moving all the pullets and the one BA I plan on keeping down there... I think. I do know that the Brown Leghorn that's in with them now is destined for the supper table and so are the other 7 BAs - who are going into the small coop to finish growing out. The reason I said I think I am putting him in with the pullets is because I plan on keeping a total of 3 roos (I will have 55-60 hens) and the other 2 roos aren't even hatched out yet (Blue Wyandotte and a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte). But, by the time they are old enough to head to the coop, the BLH, BAs, BRS, RIRs and SSs that I plan on eating should be already processed... Or they killed each other (which I hope not, all have been together at some point, other than the BLH, who almost met an axe already at 8wks old).

ANYWHO! Which BA? I narrowed it down to 2.

Here's a pic of the boys together:
    [​IMG]
    Lorp 1 is bigger and more aloof. Lorp 2 comes up to me as soon as I put my hand in the brooder, but still isn't the friendliest. I can occasionally pet him, but he's not like my BRs and RIRs that flop their chests in my hand and sit there and coo while I massage their chests (haha - pre-tenderizing)!

Here's a pic of Lorp 1 by himself:
    [​IMG]
    Lorp 1 was the only one not to get pecked and his saddle feathers eaten off. Tells me he's already top of the pecking order. He and Lorp 2 are always hanging out together on the sides or on the divider bar of the brooder. None of the other BAs get up there.

Here's Lorp 2 hanging out with the Sebright and... Sebright?
    [​IMG]
    Lorp 2 didn't get as pecked as everyone else. Some of the others are totally pecked near bald.

Here's Lorp 2 again - Not looking so spooked, lol!
    [​IMG]

The rest were tossed out of the running because 3 of them cower and hide in a corner while 1 is a bully and chases them around. The other one is in between bully and a coward, Sometimes he picks on the RIRs and the BRs, but never the BAs. These two pictured aren't bullies, but they will put the bully in his place if they have to. For the most part, they stick with the banties and let the other cockerels to their own business.

Yes, they are hatchery stock, but from a breeding stand point, do either fo them stand out as being a bit more superior than the other, or are they pretty close in that aspect (more than likely both totally lacking in the breed characteristics). Should I let Lorp2's friendliness overrule what I think is good looks and size in Lorp 1? I really don't know who'll make a nicer rooster. Oh, and yeah, I plan on letting my roosters cover all my girls at will and I will be hatching some out. I'd love for my Lorp to cover the Wyandottes and vice versa!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I think they are pretty close. #1 looks meatier, but it might be the angle of the photo.

When they are really close, choose by personality.

3. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    #1 is larger/taller. He has "mean" eyes, I noticed. I didn't pay much attention until after I posted and I was looking at the pics. #2 has kinder eyes. He has the nice, green sheen to his feathers, too.

4. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    sounds like you like #2 the best, I would say keep him if you can only keep 1.

5. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Quote:LOL... well... I love the looks and size of BA 1. I love how much more friendly BA 2 is. I really am torn. I guess I could keep them both, but I don't want these two ganging up on the younger boys when they finally meet. And I kind of have a fave Speckled Sussex that's a roo and I never planned on keeping one of those. Plus, once the big boys grow out and get processed, the Silkies are inheriting the small coop - and there's another roo. Five roos is way to many, imo. I'd like to stick with my original plan of 3 for the main flock and one Silkie for my hobby breeding.

What have you guys done to me? I fell in love with dirty birds!

6. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Maybe I should have posted in the Breeds, Genetics, Showing forum. I guess what I am after is which boy is the nicer according to the breed standards.

7. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Hmmm... I am going to hold off on deciding because I am thinking about keeping them both if Lorp 2 doesn't fill out. They seem to like hanging out quite a bit together. I really like how calm and friendly Lorp 2 is, but his size is bothering me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by