Whoo Hoo!!!!!!!!! Finally got some eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Johnson5326, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Johnson5326

Johnson5326 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    So, I've been checking the pen everyday with no luck. My husband decides letting them run around the yard when he cut the grass was a good idea so they've been out for 2 days. I went to feed them this morning and out in the middle the back yard is the 1st egg! [​IMG] I pick it up, put it to the side so I can finish feeding/watering them. I take it in the house, turn on the hose, and what's this I see? Another egg! It was like Easter for a little kid. [​IMG]

What did I do? I took a picture and had an egg sandwich for breakfast[​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] Congrats!

3. crissycriss

crissycriss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama
    Congratulations!!! there is nothing like that feeling when you find your first eggs.And every day is like a egg hunt.I get so disappointed when i dont find any.LOL!!!!!

4. Johnson5326

Johnson5326 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Thanks, guys. So, there were 2 eggs waiting for me again today. I have 4 females of 3 breeds so I'm guessing the 2 that are the same breed (rouens) aren't laying yet. I'm so proud of those girls. Yesterday they were out b/c the grass had been vut so we let them fill up on all the bugs they could find. I put them back up and the eggs I found were actually in their little house where they have refused to go all summer. It's full of hay so all they had to do was make a little nest shape and they did! Not in the water, out in the open, hiding anywhere, etc. They laid them where they were meant to and the eggs were touching. One was cold, the other still warm.

I do have some questions, though.

1. How long will the eggs be edible if I put them in the fridge every morning as soon as I find them?

2. My males haven't been acting "frisky" yet so I'm pretty sure they aren't fertile eggs. How long will it take the males t mature? All 6 ducks hatched March 27-29th. The males are pekins.

3. What's the best incubator? I'm thinking of hatching some in the spring. I live in Georgia where its humid all the time and we don't really have much of a winter.

5. crissycriss

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama
    Hi and Good Morning i cant really help you with the incubator question never had one.If your males are the same age as your females and they are laying im pretty suure they are getting there business done.Well mine are any way. ;) As far as how long they last in fridge not sure but i keep mine far upto 3 wks before they get gone.Congrats on them laying in there house mine still lay where ever they decide to drop them. I am no expert so maybe someone else will chime in and beable to give more advice. :)

6. crissycriss

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama
    :~/ so sorry

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  7. crissycriss

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama
    :~\

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012