1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whoo Hoo... I Finally Have a Broody... 1 Question....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickie Mamma, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, My Maple finally went broody, she is a partridge silkie. I have her sitting on 2 duck eggs (that were added today) and 3 silkie eggs that are not fertile (no rooster). Can I add more duck eggs? Will she notice the difference and only sit for the 21 days or will she wait til they hatch? I have never had a broody hen before and I just wanted to make sure she will last the duration for the duck eggs... Thanks [​IMG]

2. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    ya give her the eggs most likely she will be glad to take them

3. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    She should sit until the eggs hatch. I have had broody hens hatch muscovy eggs, which take 35 days. It's always possible that she will give up midway through the incubation process, but I've never had it happen.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    She should sit for the duration of the duck eggs. I'd remove the unfertile chicken eggs so they don't spoil and explode under her. She will not notice they are missing.

I'm not sure how many duck eggs a partridge silkie can cover. She needs to be able to cover all the eggs to keep them equally warm. If you can add more duck eggs today and she can cover them, you should be OK, but I would not add any more after today. You run the risk she will leave the nest when the first ones hatch and before the second ones hatch.

Good luck!

5. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks for the replys! I snuck the 2 duck eggs in there and was only able to get one of hers out. Wow, is she NASTY!! If we go near her, she sounds like an ambulance going by. My DD put food and water near her so she really doesn't have to go to far to get food. I feel better that she at least has the 2 duck eggs (which are huge). I would have felt bad if she did all of that for nothing. Its not a wasted effort now [​IMG] Thanks again..

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:You need to get her a husband which has been waiting here in NY at "your" cabin!!! Yeah for a broody!!! make sure she hatched out that cute white crestless girl for me:)

7. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:You need to get her a husband which has been waiting here in NY at "your" cabin!!! Yeah for a broody!!! make sure she hatched out that cute white crestless girl for me:)

She is working on it! For only 2 eggs, the odds are against us [​IMG]
    Here I was thinking My splash was a boy, so yes, I need that chicken man from you! Too bad they are not like homing pigeons huh??

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

She is working on it! For only 2 eggs, the odds are against us [​IMG]
    Here I was thinking My splash was a boy, so yes, I need that chicken man from you! Too bad they are not like homing pigeons huh??

wouldnt that be sweet You can have my boy and I can have your girl!!! then we can be grandmas together!

9. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Awwww, grandma's [​IMG]

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    "Grandma" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I hope I have at least 10 years before I really hear that phrase!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by