WhooHoo I found some Spanish Blacks

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by cowdogcadillac, Sep 16, 2010.

1. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    The collection is grown now to BBB's,Palms,Narragansets,and Spanish. What's next?

2. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    Blacks and Nargies where my first turkeys. I was watching You Tube with my grandson the other day. I seen this lady with her black turkeys.

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    This fall or if I can hold out, which I need to..I want Turkeys. I am deciding on Bourbon Reds, Black Spanish, or Narrangesets....

4. cowdogcadillac

Sep 23, 2009
    cool news report,,good to see the general public gets to see what they look like when they are not in the freezer at Publix

5. cowdogcadillac

Sep 23, 2009
    Update--something ripped into the coop and ate the spanish blacks. If it weren't for bad luck................

6. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, I'm so sorry you lost your Blacks. We're planning to go with Spanish Blacks next spring too. I figure that will be a good mix for the people who buy from us. We'll have the Midget Whites for people who want a small bird, Bourbons for a medium sized bird and the Blacks for big birds.

7. BigPeep

BigPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    I have Blacks and Slates myself.

What kind of protection did you use? I have my turkey tractor covered with 2 inch by 1 inch wire fencing. Small critters like weasels would be able to get in but I am assuming that the turkeys are too large for them to handle. Raccoons would have to be able to dig for a while underneath and I am again assuming that they are not that interested in taking on the turkeys as they are mostly interested in eggs and maybe will kill something once they get in to get eggs but won't expend a lot of effort just to try to tangle with a large turkey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by