1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Whoooo HOOO! One egg pipped!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Crabella, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Crabella

Crabella Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    I've two black austrolorps each sitting on a half dozen eggs. I went out to gather eggs a few minutes ago and decided to check on the broodies. We have a pip and lots of healthy peeping! I tucked it back under momma and I just had to tell someone ... Day 21 is tomorrow for the first set, 5-6 days later for the next batch. Keeping fingers crossed.

Now going to drag myself to work on my sprinklers at the other end of the yard... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm not excited... nope, not me. Nuh-uh... [​IMG]

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Crowing

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Crabella

Crabella Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    Okay, I said I wouldn't, but I lasted an hour before I went back out there. Two pips and a lot of peeping going on.

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Crowing

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I keep going out to my coop every hour too. [​IMG] I'm on day 20 too. My broodies are sharing 11 eggs, I have 6 pips now I think. The bantam eggs are pretty much all pipped. The big eggs are loud, but no pips yet. Can't wait to see my first baby chickie!

5. Crabella

Crabella Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    Glad I am not the only one. I keep telling myself to "just leave them alone and let them do what they do best"... but I be a nosey old biddy myself... so I keep going out there. I have a 3rd black Australorp that is acting broody. Any eggs that these two don't hatch right away, I will pop under her. Surely she won't care if she hatches in 3 days instead of 3 weeks... I really do need that pacing smiley ...

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Crowing

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Me too. Waited patiently for 20 days, but I'm out of patience. If I had a lap top I'd be sitting in my coop on BYC waiting, at least this way I'm getting plenty of exercise. Are you leaving your broody and chicks with the flock? I have a tractor set up for mommas and their babies, not sure if I'm going to move them there or not. I just introduced 3 SLW that are kind of bullies, not sure if silkie momma will be able to stand up for her chicks or not. My silkie/game hen can get the 3 of them running for cover, and she's even smaller than the silkies.

8. Crabella

Crabella Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    I have a laptop, but my wireless is not working at the moment... seems that if you unplug the router, it forgets? anyway I unplugged it to rearrange furniture in my office, so no wireless, or I would have my laptop out in the coop... [​IMG] [​IMG]
    At least one zipping... I took a peek under momma's wing and did not bother her more than that.

oh, and killed a baby snake the last time I was out there. Eeeewww! Chicks and snakes are not a good combo, even if it was a bull snake. I wasn't taking any chances. Sorry little snake, but ya gotta find a better place to hang out than by my coop.

9. Crabella

Crabella Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    And one has hatched. I can't see it, but there is an empty shell and lots of peeping. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] nope, I'm not at all excited

10. Crabella

Crabella Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    Three hatched and one pipped out of the first batch of six. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by