Whoops, I accidentally mummed myself!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by elizabethbinary, Dec 10, 2010.

1. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I had a huge issue with chickens getting off my eggs so by the time they got to the duck they had been under 3 mothers and the duck already had eggs due in an extra week. My incubator isn't ready to work again so I was stuck grabbing them as they hatched, giving them to a clucky hen and hoping I didn't turn into human fois-revenge. I noticed one was in the process of hatching so I... kinda helped it out. I've done it to ducks before and it was the same thing. Only when it popped out, unlike when you help hatch a duck, it didn't take to the first fluffy feathers I tucked it under... it took to me. So now I've clearly got my own little baby and the poor thing FLIPS A CIRCUIT when I walk away from it. It HAS to be under my chin. It is right now. Here's a photo of me right now:

[​IMG]
    (because it's never cool to post without photos)

Anyway my main problem right now is it's, well, staring at me. Like it expects something. It's only been a day so I know it's not hungry yet but I've given it some chick starter already. GAH it JUST fell asleep on me....

[​IMG]

Anyway it keeps STARING at me. Walking up to me and STARING. I'm not a hen I don't know what it wants! [​IMG] It has fresh water and chick starter in it's little box I now keep beside my bed with a hot water bottle and a bird snugglie (those kind for parrots). It still whinges at not being with me so I have to cuddle her until she falls asleep in the box.

Is it like a puppy where the babies just stare at you? I've had day olds before but none have ever so clearly thought I was their mum. Does it want me to teach it how to scratch?

What are my 'mum'sponsibilities? (I know this sounds really hysterical but I wanna be a good mummy so my chick doesn't grow up thinking it's mummy didn't love it) Do I need to take her out a show her where all the awesome food is? Do I need to hug her more? Or is she just gonna stare at me forever?

Thanks!

(MAN I am so sorry I don't come here more often!! This place is so awesome I plan on sticking around this time!)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I reckon this is a good idea... one she gets the hang of it she might find herself bonded with a group her own age... instinct and all... time will tell.

Sounds like you're doing great keeping her warm and cozy, food and water, just like an ordered day old. Just stick with that and when out let her guide you... maybe?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  3. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Does it have a heat lamp? These little guys get cold real quick and I don't think a hot water bottle will be enough. Cute chick!

4. elizabethbinary

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It has a heat lamp but it's makeshift so I don't trust it as much and I only keep it on when I'm home - and usually when I'm home the baby is tucked under my neck or arm! Haha.

I'll take her outside when it warms up (or when I've had my coffee actually) and see how she goes! It's very hot right now in Australia so heat really isn't a biiiig issue for her. But I've been making sure she's warm!

Thanks! I guess baby chicks just stare at their mummies!

5. elizabethbinary

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Took her outside for a little scratch. She was definitely following my lead. When I scratched somewhere she'd go there and scratch too. She tried to drink and fell straight into the water and doused herself so now she's in my shirt drying. She saw the other chicks/ducklings and I tried to put them close but it didn't work - she just freaked and ran back to me. I guess I have a baby of my very own! Time to get chookdiapers.

6. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    If a chick bonded with me like that I would have to try communicating with it. Have you tried clucking excitedly while showing it food?

7. elizabethbinary

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yep! I already put her to work eating all the ants in the kitchen! She says hi and is currently eating the breadcrumbs out of the laptop. I'm typing between her toes. Crap I'm a mum hahaha. [​IMG]

8. elizabethbinary

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Update:

Little girl got herself a little sister that I had to nurse after a shaky hatch! Only, it's got to be quite possibly the ugliest little chick in the world. Everyone meet a baby barred Transylvanian Naked Neck: (next to a black/blue splash Wynadotte, hahaha)

[​IMG]

9. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I really hope your baby takes to her new sister, since I'm assuming you will eventually have to go back to school/work.
    I rescued a chick about 2 weeks old; one of those dyed pink ones they have around Easter time. Some teenagers brought him into the clinic where I work and said they found him in the street. Since our receptionist knew I had chickens, she thought I'd take him. Well, I had no chicks at the time, and he became VERY attached to me. Would cheep incessantly if I was not right there next to him. Since I had to work and sleep (and had dogs who would eat him), it wasn't possible for him to be near me every moment of the day. He drove me insane! I finally was able to buy a chick roughly the same age, and they instantly bonded. What a relief! He grew into a handsome white Leghorn, but couldn't be trusted. He eventually tried to take on my pitty, and lost......McNugget had a very high opinion of himself!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Aaaaawwwwww; what an adorable chick [​IMG]

The baby chicken is cute, too.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by