Whoops

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by write2caroline, Jan 18, 2011.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I just got a call at work. My daughters bantam frizzle was killed by a hawk.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I read your original post and I very sorry that you lost your bantam frizzle. I also have a bantam frizzle pullet and she is the sweetest little girl. I hope your daughter is OK. [​IMG]

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Thanks; My daughter was horrified of course. That frizzle loved her and she loved the frizzle. I think Cutie Pie had layed her first egg but it was really really small about half the size of the other bantam eggs. My husband was thinking we should plant it under one of the broodie bantams - one or the other is always broodie and see if it hatches but I am not even sure it a) it would hatch and b) if a really small first egg could produce a viable chick. I have some other bantam eggs too. I could try and see.

We are heart broken all around over the incident. I don't begrudge the hawk because the girls are tough sometimes to keep in the run and I am constantly finding new places they get out. I was foolish enough to believe once the girls got laying they would be too heavy to hope over like my wyandottes who never get out. Anyway, If my girls are out and a predator gets them - I don't blame the predator. I have refortified the run.

We are just sad over losing our littlest and definately the sweetest little pullet.

Thanks too for the advice on the pm

Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by