"whoopsy" roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KelsiNS, Aug 14, 2013.

1. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    I have 39 chicks (11 are a week old today, 28 are 16 days). I KNOW two are roos (because i wanted them).
    But i have some barred rocks getting combs already...and two chicks are VERY slow feathering (i suspect one is frizzle, but not sure if that would affect it).
    Im not concerned if i got roos (a neighbor breeds labs that bark 24/7, i doubt anyone willeven hear my birds). Im curious at what age you stood back and said, "this is probably a boy." Personality doesnt help, half of the 39 are crazy (i gave up putting them in the brooder when they escape, they fuzz up and rush right back out) and the other half are SO laid back.
    [​IMG] slow feather on the right
    [​IMG] ee roo and bigger comb
    [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    One week is pretty early, and I don't think you can know for certain by then. (I couldn't).

Usually by 10 to 12 weeks I could say with certainty, and usually I had a pretty big inclination around 5 weeks.

However, I have learned to wait as they don't always develop according to those "fail-proof" rules, and I've had several early bloom hens fool me.

I'm waiting now on a barred that I think is going to develop into a roo, but its development has slowed and I'm thinking it might make a fool of me and actually turn out to be a hen. (There was a 4 to 3 split on my thread from responders as to roo or hen.)

My 2 cents.
    Lady of McCamley

4. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes,It is too early to tell!They are quite cute though!![​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can sex Barred Rocks at one day old with pretty high accuracy, depending on the strain. That's what the lnk above was about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by