Whopping air cells!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by evilcitty, Nov 25, 2012.

1. evilcitty

evilcitty Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    Hi,
    This is my first time at hatching eggs, so real exciting stuff! [​IMG] I'm trying to hatch a batch of 6 mixed chicken eggs.
    Today is day 7 and I've taken out all but two eggs which weren't clears.
    One seems to have a thick shell so I can't make out much so I've left it just incase.The other seems to be a good egg, lotsa movement..can make out a lil embryo. Problem: WHOPPING AIR CELL. Looks more like a day 18 egg than a day 7 according to the egg diagram...which is strange to me as I've got two different hygrometers in there which agree with eachother and I've been keeping it around 40-45%. [​IMG]Other prob is it's on the pointy end/side. There also appears to be a smaller air cell on the right end (blunt end). Bit confused so I've cranked up the humidity to 60%.

I'll get a picture.

So is there any hope for this one?
    What can I do to improve it's chances?

Thanks guys! x

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  2. evilcitty

Nov 25, 2012
    Side 1
    [​IMG]
    Other side
    [​IMG]

So what's going on??

3. evilcitty

Nov 25, 2012
    Oh yes, just to note, the clear eggs that i removed had a normal looking day 7 air cell according to the air cell diagram..So is my humidity okay afterall? should i put it back down?!

4. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Side one isn't an air cell. It's egg white. It will fill in as the chick grows.

5. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    X2 The large end of the egg with the small white area is actually the air cell. The large yellow part is the whites of the egg and probably some yolk. It looks totally normal. If you have it in a turner make sure the large end with the air cell is pointed UP.

6. evilcitty

Nov 25, 2012
    Really?? Phew. Okay. Returned humidty to normal. That's a relief...hope I haven't done any damage in my panic.
    Thanks for putting me to rights kizanne and dolly85. [​IMG] I thought that the whole thing filled out with veins and stuff and the whole thing then gradually darkened...don't know why. Guess all the pics i saw of developing eggs only wanted to show the chick part so i didn't understand what a normal egg looked like all the way around. Oh good. I feel alot better now. You don't know what a stress you've lifted off my shoulders. Thanks ALOT for your help.xx

7. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    [​IMG] Good luck! Just think, you are already 1/3 of the way to hatch day!

8. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Since no one did...

[​IMG]

Good luck with your hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by