Who's All Excited For Spring Like Me?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens44, Jan 8, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I wanted to know whos excited like I am!

because it's time to raise chicks!!!

leave the cold weather!!

whats your guys spring plan?

mine to raise chicks under broodies and incubator!

and get the coop clean

you?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That's IT? [​IMG]

I'll be breeding adults, raising chicks, hatching chicks, selling eggs and chicks and even spare adults, buying stock from others to improve my own, growing crops to provide my flock some feed that isn't GMO or solely corn, wheat, and soy, and providing them a lot more garden and tree goods than last year and the year before. We're expanding our gardens and crops quite a bit this year. [​IMG]

They still of course get 3 acres of pasture to forage on, but that to me isn't enough!

3. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Quote:wow you got a lot a head of you [​IMG]

I have to set up a brooder, and I just wanna hatch a lot of chicks, keep the hens, and give Roosters to my ma's friend.

I wanna get the duck pool set up, and do some (spring time cleaning/ Coop improvement.

Take down winter stuff.

4. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    im excited for my broody and chicks!! 9 days to go!!! [​IMG] we also might be moving in the late spring early summer, so my chicken plans are on hold for this minute [​IMG] ... should know more detail by the end of the month... ill keep you posted! lol**

go Sargeant Mayhem !! ( SP?? [​IMG] ) how many days left 12?

5. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Yay for spring! I can't wait... I'm gonna be incubating eggs... I'm getting 15 production reds and 10 black sex links from hoovers hatchery on February 25! And my husband is building me a new coop! Yay his idea not mine... I didn't nag him.. and I'm getting 15 more Blue laced red wyandottes from Pauls Poultry in April! That's why he's building me another coop. That's just the chickens... we're gonna be finnishing his shop, building more fences, finnishing the back yard for the kids. And more I just can't think of it all right now... but I LOVE SPRING! [​IMG]

6. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Quote:Glad to see you on! [​IMG]

9 days!!!! for mama...yay!!!!!

Sargent mayham is on day 8, today. 13 more days tell hatch..... Longest wait ever!!!!!!

Yup keep me posted [​IMG]

7. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Quote:Wow, you have a lot of be looking forward too, I hope the hatching turns out good n the coop building [​IMG]

8. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    For us, it'll be building 2 new adult chicken coops, 6 breeding pens, a lot more footage for the fast expanding flock. We were thinking of expanding the forage space by retreating more fence space, and providing more than 1.5 acres just for free ranging.

Then there's lot of chicks to hatch, lots of growers to tend to, adults to pamper too. I'm selling males, keeping nice ones, breeding some good birds, planning to show as well, and my, its going to be a busy year. Plus, we also plan to build a green house.

9. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    Spring plans.. well does wishing for an early spring count? But between now and then.. I get to attend my first poultry show in Newnan GA.. hoping to meet a few BYCers in person and possibly buy something new! [​IMG]

I will be tending to chicks that I am hatching indoors at the moment.. the oldest are three weeks old today. I have another group that is a tad over 2 weeks old. I won't even talk about the eggs in the incubator except to say that I hatch dates of Jan. 16, 20 and 27th! my name is shelly and I am a hatchaholic [​IMG]

With the first sign of consistently warmer days and nights, I will move these current chicks out to the main coop. If we get the addition done earlier and can rig up lighting, they might go out earler as long as they are fully feathered. They won't know what to do..lol.

We are looking to expand the coop of course and I am going to try to talk DH into building two smaller breeder pens for my free ranging flock.. so I can have "pure eggs" when I want to hatch out or sell breeds true to name. [​IMG]

We are expanding our garden to include some goodies for the chickens. We just have 4 laying hens right now.. with 7 pullets that should start by the first of March at the latest.. I expect most will start laying in Feb. but since I don't know how old they are.. I have no real idea. We will fine tune the nesting box area of our coop... to prepare for more hens laying.

That is what our plans are TODAY.. I reserve the right to add to the list.. because you know we all will..[​IMG]

Shelly

10. KC n KY

KC n KY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grayson, KY
    I am very excited for spring! I will be hatching a few eggs, but my biggest project is improving my current line of BLRW. My chickens will also be allowed to freerange(under supervision) for the first time since late fall [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by