Who's blessing me with these wonderful eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MandalaMaMa, Dec 2, 2013.

1. MandalaMaMa

MandalaMaMa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    southern Oregon coast
    I think I have two girls laying eggs? The first one started the day before Thanksgiving ( late afternoon) and then took Thanksgiving off and then laid two days in a row in the morning. I was watching all day yesterday for another egg. Thinking that she should be laying late morning. And nothing happened so mid afternoon I stopped watching. And this morning first thing I found this nice darker egg the one on the left. It was in the same nest box of the others have been. Not sure who is blessing me with these wonderful eggs.
    [​IMG]

Here are my girls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Two of your birds are beginning to lay eggs. Not sure which bird laid which egg, other than they were most likely not laid by the Easter Eggers (the ones with the beards) who will most likely lay blue or green eggs.

3. MandalaMaMa

Jul 9, 2013
    southern Oregon coast
    thanks - ya I kinda figured it wasn't the Easter Eggers. No eggs today. Weather took a turn and we had rain all day here on the Oregon coast.

4. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    You can measure their pelvic bones to see who is laying.

[​IMG]

Some people also put food coloring on the vents.

1 person likes this.
  5. MandalaMaMa

Jul 9, 2013
    southern Oregon coast
    thanks for the video. It was very helpful. One mystery was solved this morning. Winnie our Wyandotte was the first to start laying eggs for us. She was acting all funny this morning when I was cleaning the coop. She was in and out of the hen boxes and scratching around in the henhouse like crazy. So I kept an eye on her and she just laid us some nice light brown colored egg. How exciting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by