whos breaking ice out of the water dishes already

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blueseal, Nov 28, 2010.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have been the last 3 days or so. i use the 3 gallon black rubber bowls. i think little giant makes them . i just bang them on the ground knock all the ice out and refill with fresh water. i have one bowl in the coop and one out in the run for my flock of 20 standard laying hens. on real cold days i have to check twice for refreeze.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    me me me [​IMG] I hate it. I have 4 -5 gallon waterers that have to be chipped and hot water added to it every morning now-just enough to melt the ice down and keep it melted for most of the day-then I have 3-4 small waterers for the small brooders and such-thank goodness some have heating lamps so those always stay defrosted-if they freeze Im in trouble and need to up my heating bulb! I need to get more heated water bowls-I have a huge one but the big ducks will try and sit in it emptying it out in one fat butt plunk!!!

3. ponygal12

ponygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]

Me too. Lately it's warmed up but a couple day last week the water was almost completely frozen. Time to break out the heated waterer

4. mom2to

mom2to Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    harrison
    i have had ice also. i hate breaking ice so last year i got extra water jugs and switched out the waters everyday. the extra waterer for the pen stays in the house so always one ready for them.

5. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    had to plug in the heated bowls this week, when day temps dont break 35 the outside bowl definitely wont thaw

6. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    I'm breaking it up as well, although when I fill my containers my gals drink it quickly so I don't have large blocks

7. Raen

Raen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Missouri
    I haven't gotten around to making a heated waterer yet (probably do it today). Instead, I've been bringing fresh bowls of hot water out to them in the morning, and letting the frozen blocks of ice I remove from the coop thaw in my kitchen.

8. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    [​IMG] Me too!

9. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Ickkkk I hate Ice and the cold!!! Yesterday the Rubber pans were froze to the concrete for the ducks and they were going crazy cause they couldn't nock it over!!! [​IMG]

10. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    All of my birds have access to water "inside" their houses, so I know they don't do without.....but the outside waterers---that's a different story. At 24 degrees this morning, ALL of the outside waterers were frozen. I keep a butter knife in my coat pocket for just such occasions

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by