Who's broody?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 3nglishteacher, Dec 22, 2008.

1. 3nglishteacher

3nglishteacher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2008
    Help! I have 20 free ranging EEers (2 roos), almost 1 y/o and between winter and some going thru molts, we're down to 1 or 0 eggs / day. But someone has a secret stash that we found today -- 18 eggs under the lawn mower tarp. I have tried to watch out for who may be feeling broody b/c I want to let someone hatch some chicks for me this spring. How can I find the "broody" girl? Or is she truly broody since she walks away from this nest every day -- everyone shows up for bed count in the p.m.? If someone can advise how to find the broody or encourage some broodiness, I"d be most thankful!

KL

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    KL, cracked corn and corn on the cob seem to trigger one of my girls without fail. Not the others though. It might be worth a try.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Doesnt sound like you got a broody girl yet, just sounds like a few of them are laying there so you didnt find the gold !! Gotta love em !!

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I agree. You probably don't have a broody, you just found a secret nest.

When you have a broody hen, she will want to sit on the nest all the time. Even at night. And when she does come off the nest, she'll walk around with her feathers puffed up, making a slow clucking sound. And all of the other hens will stay out of her way!

5. red star11

red star11 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2008
    Medina, Ohio
    I use cracked corn too.[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by