"who's building an incubator"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jessshan8, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt

Just wondering who out there is building an incubator? I am a tinkerer and love building incubators as much as I love hatching the eggs. Just thaught i would start something to share knowledge and ideas. post pics please I'd love to see what you have come up with. Here are a couple of pics of mine I just completed a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I have read about people building incubators out of small wine fridges with the window door. That seems pretty cool. I was able to install a fan in one of the incubators that I bought mistakenly without one. That was way complicated to me! lol.
    I am to scared to even try to build one myself. Makes my brain hurt. lol
    I imagine it cannot be all that hard if you have a mind for those kind of things.
    Good luck!

ps. is that water at the bottom nice and warm? lol

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  3. Jessshan8

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    it is, I use them to retain heat so the lights don't cycle so much.

4. Christie Rhae

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Oh! lol. Kinda like a full refrigerator doesn't have to work as hard as a mostly empty one?

Thought maybe you had the water bottles handy in there in case you were checking on your eggs and had a hankering for a nice warm bottle of water. lol
    [​IMG]
    lol I might be the only one who thinks I am funny. lol!

5. Jessshan8

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    maybe i should keep an extra cup of coffee in there LOL.... your jokes do have humor i can appreciate no worries

6. Christie Rhae

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    [​IMG]

7. jerryb

jerryb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Southern Michigan
    I built one from left over wood and insulation that i have. I bought the same temperature controller that you used, I like it really well. I have some eggs in it now, day 12. I also bought a fan at the goodwill store to keep air moving so that was all I spent money on. ~$30, plus I bought an egg turner for an LG and made the whole thing to fit the turner.

cheers
    Jerry

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  8. Jessshan8

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    Sweet mine cost me just under $35 for the whole set up minus the egg turner that i have had for a couple of years.I used the mini-fridge they are really insulated good and hold the temp really well. The heat source is from an old two bulb ceiling light wired through an electric thermostat. the water bottles at the bottom i use to hold heat and reduce cycling of the lights. The items I bought were from ebay and the cost is total cost including shipping.
    2 blue lighted 100mm computer fans - $6
    electric temp sensor - $2
    electric thermostat/sensor - $21
    I did buy a switch to turn off the fans before i open the door to eliminate blowing colder air suddenly across the eggs at home depot for just under $4.

The eggs in mine are on day 2 the first day being 0 because I placed them in in the evening.

can you upload a pic of yours I would really love to see it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  9. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Awesome! I am building a cabinet incubator right now. Actually I almost have it built, I am waiting for the caulk, and sealant to dry before I can wire it.

I was given a wooden shipping crate. It has 1 1/2 inch thick styro foam. I covered the styro foam with sheathing, I also painted the sheathing, and put 4 coats of sealer on it. I will start again on it Thursday, because I have to wait for the sealer and caulk to dry.

10. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    I made one. got an old glass door winechiller off craigslist

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by