Who's chickens were shipped and who's were picked up?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luvinmychickens, Jun 16, 2011.

1. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Who's chickens were shipped and who's were picked up? I picked up mine from Meyers Hatchery. What about you?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I bought mine from the farm store. I like to pick them out the day they were shipped in. They are much healthier that way.

3. Splinty

Splinty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    New York
    I had mine shipped from Chickensforbackyards.com. They were born Monday and I received them Tuesday morning. I tried to get baby chicks locally but all the feed stores (and that's not many) don't carry them. I only got 3 and I was worried about them arriving safely and they did. Where I live we are only allowed to have 6 hens and no roosters so the feed stores don't really sell chicks.

4. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Where I live you are only alowed 6 hens and no roosters.... That stinks. I had to get rid of one of my chickens because she turned out to be a rooster, not a hen, but that happens.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  5. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    Of the 60+ that I have, 16 were shipped and the rest were either picked up or hatched at our place. Actually, the shipped chicks were a lot less trouble than dealing with incubating and fretting over the temp and humidity problems. The shipped chicks arrived safely, no DOA's, and were shipped from a BYCer.

6. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    Twice I've have had mine shipped. They were born on a Saturday and my post office called me on Sunday with the option to come and pick them up. It does seem really weird to get them in the mail but we don't have anyplace around here to get them. I also wanted to as sure as possible they were girls because I hear nightmare stories about buying chicks from feed stores and finding out you have a bunch of roos. My chickens are pets and completely spoiled and I would never be able to cull them but I also don't know what I'd do with a bunch of roos. If they lay eggs it's a bonus. [​IMG]

Here is my ONE roo and so sweet.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I am fortunate enough to have a reputable hatchery within driving distance of me. Ok, my DH doesn't think an hour is driving distance.... but I do [​IMG].

I've picked up all three orders that I've gotten from them, and I've never lost a chick. I think it's so much easier on them to not be in the mail for days on end with no temperature control, rought handling, and no food and water.

However, I consider shipping a necessary evil if you arn't near a hatchery, or want a very specific rare breed.

8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I picked up mine, I got them from TSC's "chick days".

9. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    picked up.. 3 from the feed store and 2 from the local fishing pond ( the guy who runs it gets a bunch of eggs every year shipped to him)[​IMG]

10. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    I ordered from Ideal shipped 6-14 6 brahmas 1 orp 9 packing peanuts picked up this am . All doing great in their coop ( got a brooder in their coop ) [​IMG] already had 23.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by