Who's getting Holderread's this year?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckyBoys, Jan 18, 2009.

1. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I cannot for the life of me believe that it is almost gooses season! How did that happen? Anyway, who's ordered from Holderread's and what 'cha got coming?

I ordered buff geese last year but they ran out - so they will come this spring, hopefully sooner than later so they can go to fair in July.

That's pretty much it for me - I went fowl crazy last year and I'm hoping for some eggs this year instead. [​IMG]

Here's some winter pics of my guys...this pic was taken about amonth ago. We've been having spring weather now and it is great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. crazy cat lady

crazy cat lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    NW Illinois
    You have quite a great group of waterfowl there. I'm hoping to get myself some geese this year. Either Bugg or Pilgrim.

3. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Thanks! They are quite the characters, especially those embdens - little bit on the pushy side, though.

4. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    BEAUTIFUL!!!

I'm getting 2 pairs of Brown Chinese goslings from Holderread's--ordered them last August so not sure yet when they're coming, but more than ready for them!!

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    We have an order in for Gray Runners

Steve in NC

6. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Ohhhhhhhhhhhh...I'm jealous. I only got one gray runner last year in my "Exhibition runner deal" but he and all the others except two were eaten by a fox. [​IMG]

I want more grays.

[​IMG]

7. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Oh, gosh, pea-green jealous, I am! :0)

I am HOPING to order some runner ducks and Chinese geese from them, maybe their pearl guineas, but I don't know if we'll be ready for them this year or not. We need to be living out there or they will probably wind up Coyote meals, and we're just not to that point yet.

But we sure are trying!

Connie

8. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Question: With such an assortment and number of ducks, do they cross-breed on you or do they pretty much pair up according to their own breed?

And are those Pilgrim geese in the picture?

9. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Hi Babalu,

I had to put those runners in the aviary with the calls and wild ducks because of the fox problem, but they will not be in there in a few weeks. I'll have to secure the barn somehow.

They do pair up according to species, so the calls will all mate with each other unless I seperate the snowy out, and the woodie pair absolutely stay together almost 100% of the time. In fact, the mandarins are feeling a little crowded these days and chase those woodies a bit. Hopefully when the 6 runners are out they will feel like they have enough space, otherwise I dunno, no back up plan.

There are 3 pairs of mandarins and I have no idea who will pick who, IF they lay this year.

Those gray gooses are dewlap toulouse! My babies! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

They really stay with eachother according to species?I caught my Mandarin drake trying to mate with my white call hen. She wasnt having it, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by