Who's Going In the Pot??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hippiehen, Oct 22, 2011.

1. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    OK, so my cheapie mixed order from Ideal back in June is getting close to butchering size, but which Roo should I keep? My favorite beautiful BLR wyandotte was killed a couple weeks ago by a skunk so I need to keep one to replace him. I'm not sure what a couple of them are either.

Roo #1 (2 and 3 not pictured)
    I have 3 of these guys, some kind of Hamburg? They are kind of puny to eat and puny to keep so... craigslist?
    [​IMG]

Roo#2
    Sexlink? He looks like fried chicken to me!
    [​IMG]

Roo#3
    New Hampshire?
    [​IMG]

Roo#4
    No idea what he is, but he's huge. And I don't know why his tail feathers are taking so long? A few of my roos are like that.
    [​IMG]

Roo#5
    What's this guy? Again with the piddly tail feathers
    [​IMG]

Roo#6
    And this guy, what is he?
    [​IMG]

Any ideas? What's your vote on who to keep?
    Thanks!

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    #1- Bad pic, but it looks like a Golden Penciled Hamburg. Pretty birds when they mature.
    #2- Red sexlink. Mmm tasty [​IMG]
    #3- New Hampshire or Production Red. Leaning more towards New Hampshire.
    #4- Not sure. Could be some sort of black variety breed (Australorp or Giant) with some serious red bleeding. I doubt it's a Welsummer or Partridge Rock, it's very leggy. Rocks and wellies tend to be more squat.
    #5&6- Really horrible quality Delawares

Personally, I say keep the Hamburg [​IMG] Pretty birds. Plus, you won't get much meat off of him

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  3. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    What are their personalities like? I wouldn't keep any rooster that attacks you.

4. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    Yeah, bad pic of the first one. Taking pictures of those little guys is like taking pictures of squirrels on crack!

I thought the last two were delaware but sheesh are they ugly! I guess that's what you get for .80 cents.

So far all these little roos seem very docile... of course it could be because they share space with 10 giant tom turkeys.

5. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

think number 4 is some kind of mixed breed, possible easter egger? sometimes you get a straight comb instead of a pea with the mixed EE breeds and he has greenish legs, I think I'd keep him if he is nice he looks like he'll be the prettiest once his tail feathers come in

I'd guess the lack of tail feathers could be the turkeys plucking at them

6. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    keep rather 6,5,3 or 2 id keep one of them if i was you, too bad you couldnt keep them all

7. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    #4 looks like a Jersey Giant mix roo that I have. We are keeping him for a while to see how he matures. Mine is mixed with Welsummer or New Hampshire.

[​IMG]

He has a couple more weeks on him since this picture.

8. MyBlackHen

MyBlackHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Upstate New York
    #1 and #4 are very pretty, I would keep them if they have nice personalities. #2 is nice too.

You can only keep one? I might go with #4 if that's the case. Maybe sell the #1 trio and the others go in the pot?

[​IMG]

9. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    the red sex link is the prettiest!

10. partsRheavy

partsRheavy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Keep #2 and/or #4 depending on the colors/build you want in future babies. I wouldn't keep any of the others.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by