1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who's Going to the TN Valley Fair Sept 5-14?

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by wegotchickens, Aug 19, 2008.

1. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    The registration is done and I've read the 'livestock catalog'.

But are there any experts out there who can tell me what they wished they knew when they first started showing poultry? I'm a total newbie...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  2. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

well.. this is probably what you DON"T want to hear, and we have only the Cocke Cty fair under our belts (which we got 1st & 2nd place) but I wish I had known:

1.My chickens would not be provided a roost, nor a cage big enough to spread their wings in
    2.That they would be kept on CEDAR bedding and a very small amount of it at that.
    3.Food would NOT be available very often, maybe once or twice a day in a very small amounts
    4.That it would cost the regular entrance fee to stop by and see my birds
    added: 5. That by the end of the week they would look sad & depressed, nervous with dander & it would take them a couple of days to adjust to being home again and roosting.

When we went to visit them, they practically tried to KILL themselves to get out of the cage to us... 2nd place was sticking his neck SO far through the bars, just to try & cuddle. These are friendly birds normally but NOT that friendly.

So... hey whos going? I'm going to stop by and see what's there...
    I'll post here which date I'm going.... or maybe we could coordinate a meeting... say ... at the Pink chicken! LOL.. no.. just kidding.. I don't know if the pink showgirl will be there.. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
  3. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Having been to the TN Valley Fair poultry barn MANY MANY times over the years (20+) I already knew the bad parts about food, water, bedding, perch & cage size.
    I suspected the entrance fee thing but am pre-paying for a pass.

I certainly plan on being there both Saturdays. First one w/out kids, 2nd on with kids. I can wear my BYC shirt to make me easier to spot. I'm also thinking of making myself a WEGOTCHICKENS shirt with some of those iron-on transfer deals...

Bodyflight, did you get paid anything for winning or just get a ribbon & bragging rights?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  4. DawnSuiter

5. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    That's cool. I had some awesome sunflowers this year but let the little birds eat most of them up. Maybe something new to think about next year...

Sure hope someone commits to a date they're going. Would nice to meet more BYC-ers, espacially local. And it would make me not mind so much that hubby doesn't want to do the fair with me this year [​IMG]

6. DawnSuiter

On Monday I should know when i'm going. I can try for Saturday the 6th IF I don't have any more turkeys hatching outta batch #2 (due on Friday night) and if I do expect more turkeys (will know after candling on Monday night) then I should probably go on Sunday so I have a saturday available for late hatchers.

IF I go Saturday, DD will be on a ROTC Rafting trip so it'll just be me & hubby
    on Sunday it'll be all 3 of us

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Woooooohooo, TN BYCer's at the fair. Yay. I'll be there Sat morning! Oh dance. I'll be the one with a custom black forearm crutch. ( I wanted purple flames on it but Laura says it's dated and spoiled and I'm too old for a paint job - lol) Laura has a one fair limit so it'll be just me but I wanted to watch some of the showing.

8. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

What part of TN is this fair in?

9. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    This is the TN Valley fair in Knoxville. Yay, this one is close!

10. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Walkswithdog, hopefully I can find you there Saturday morning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by