Who's gotten high hatch rates on shipped eggs, and...?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dancingbear, Aug 6, 2009.

1. dancingbear

dancingbear Songster

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    At least 50% or better?
    And who did you order them from?
    What breeds?
    What part of the country are they in, if you recall?

The reason I'm asking, is I'd like to check with those sellers, and see if any of them have any of the breeds I'm looking for, if I can't find a local source, where I could go pick up the eggs.

This is not to disparage any other sellers, I've just had such bad luck, mainly due to shipping damage, NOT from neglect on the part of the seller, (except one ebay seller, bad packing) I'd like to try some other sources. One whom I bought from, packed well, but the route between his place and mine is apparently a rough one, for eggs. I don't know if the problems occur closer to his end or mine. Air cells were all messed up, every single one. So it makes sense to me, to try sellers in other areas, who've got a record of good hatches, before I give up altogether on shipped eggs.

Please don't post about bad hatches here, just please share your good ones!

2. chels23

chels23 Songster

Jan 10, 2008
    S.E Kansas
    I've ordered several times through ebay. One time I bought 12 B/B/S Orpington eggs, packed really well and none broken. She sent me 12 plus 4 extras. 12 hatched (her user name is marieann0199) and they are beautiful! Another good hatch I had was just for some Rhode Island Reds and I ordered 12 from them and they messed up and sent me 26, all but one was fertile and 21 chicks hatched. That sellers name was tmiller0459. Oh and I live in Kansas and I think the lady that sent me the Orpingtons is in Florida and the other one is in Kentucky. I haven't ordered from anyone on this site yet, but there is a post regarding positive BYC sellers.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:It might be easier if you post what breeds you're looking for and then people who've bought those breeds could post their results.

4. waibel zoo

waibel zoo Songster

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    marie_martin and barnyard

Are the ones I have ordered from here and had fantastic hatch rates. It migh tbe just luck. I bought silkies from both. For duck I recommend avianxs on ebay. I have her email address if you want. She sells B/B/S cayuga, appleyards, and magpies.

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Songster

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:Ok, sure, why not! Salmon Faverolles, Buckeyes, and Dorkings.

I don't want hatchery stock. My birds don't need to be show quality, I have no intention of showing them. But I do want bloodlines as pure as I can get, and hatchery lines are diluted with high-production layer breeds, and I don't want that. I'm doing a breeding experiment, and I need some good, pure blood lines to start out with.

6. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    no luck here with shipped eggs. 14 eggs and so far 3 hatched. all due to hatch today

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I've had higher than 50% hatch rates with almost all the eggs I've bought from BYC folks. The best were all in the fall when the eggs don't get too hot or too cold.

8. Kennyog

Kennyog Songster

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    I have bought eggs from all over the country.Never had a broken one.Hatch rates are HORRIBLE! No more buying shipped eggs for me.I get them local,hatching rates are much better.I would not suggest to anyone to buy shipped eggs.

9. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Crowing

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Quote:Ok, sure, why not! Salmon Faverolles, Buckeyes, and Dorkings.

I don't want hatchery stock. My birds don't need to be show quality, I have no intention of showing them. But I do want bloodlines as pure as I can get, and hatchery lines are diluted with high-production layer breeds, and I don't want that. I'm doing a breeding experiment, and I need some good, pure blood lines to start out with.

I sell Buckeyes, and have done very well in shows with mine. In fact, I amd working on getting a breed club for them started up, see the new website here: http://www.americanbuckeyepoultryclub.com and the related Yahoo group here: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/AmericanBuckeyePoultryClub/

Be aware, fertility of hatching eggs is likely not very high this time of year. Heat is a factor, as well as the shortening of the daylight hours. That being said, I will offer hatching eggs to anyone for just the price of shipping via Priority Mail, in exchange for joining the new club. [​IMG]

Shipping is $12, membership to the new club is $15. I will ship 15 eggs (12 plus "extras") to anyone who emails me offline: laura AT americanbuckeyepoultryclub DOT com

How can you beat a deal like that? (It's $10 off what I charge during the spring, fwiw.)

And oh, here's my fav cock bird, he has won BB pretty much everywhere we go (except when Don Schrider beat him at the OH National), and was RCH of Youth Show at the Bluegrass in '06. He has his butt in the air, but is a very nice bird.

[​IMG]

10. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Crowing

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Dancing bear, just saw you are in KY, heck, I'm in Pendleton County, where are you? We could meet in the middle perhaps, save $$ on shipping?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: