Who's hatching around Jan 10? 1st try, Could use the "moral support!"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Suellyn, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    Anyone interested in starting a thread for those of us hatching around Jan 10th? Noticed a couple of people have put eggs in 'bator or under a broody in past day or 2, put mine in yesterday.

Is my first attempt ever, so am sure will be freaking out by the New Year, if not sooner. [​IMG]

What do you have? How many? & when are you due to hatch?

Me: 4 white silkies, 7 standard egg-layin' mixes, and 1 tiny-teeny fragile looking "bonus" Serama egg. Eggs were a "pickup", not ship, from really nice local BYCer.

My initial goal was; want some Silkies (& Buff Orps in spring) for SMALL pet quality flock (& some omelettes). But at the last minute decided it would make PERFECT SENSE [​IMG] to grab some barnyard mixes, as "insulation" for the Silkies, to help regulate temps with such a tiny hach. Then they showed me the adorable egg their Serama had just popped out, so didn't have the heart to "leave it behind"... Oh, and as far as the standard mixes go, have a friend that wants them for his farm, so will give them to him. Probably.

Misc: Mom of 2 girls (ages 7 & 4), Married to a wonderful man who would never lay claim to have married a "sane person", am a ZooKeeper by profession, and live in the suburbs on 2 acres, in Southwestern PA.

2. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    I have several weird hatches going on right now. My friend Missouri chick is out of town for Christmas and I have her bator in one of my girls rooms, set up as the labor and delivery room, plus the brooder with two chicks from a previous hatch in the other daughter's room as the nursery. Her eggs are due to hatch Christmas eve. They are all silkies.
    Then I have a bator full of more silkie eggs for her that I got her for Christmas and she didn't have room in her bator,plus I threw some serama eggs and a couple of mixes just to see if my roos were doing their job, and they are due to hatch Jan. 3rd, while i'm out of town. Lori is going to bator sit mine while i'm gone.
    Then the other night, before she left, we candled all the eggs and all my seramas were fertile, so we threw more of them in there. They will be due around the 10th when yours are. We are chicken poor.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have 5 white pekin duck eggs and 1 chinese/pilgrim goose egg due to hatch on the 10th, plus I have 12 cayuga and rouen duck eggs due on the 12th. Good luck on your hatches!

4. IcedMochaChick

IcedMochaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    We have 6 showgirl eggs "due" on the 1st, and 14 more that are due on the 10th! This is our first hatch, also. Really, they're my mom's, but I've been helping when needed. Good luck with your hatch. Maybe we can keep this thread going and everyone can post pics of their peeps!

5. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    My hatch is due on Jan. 9th. I have in my bator 4 blue ameraucana eggs (my own), 7 salmon fav's (from pasofinofarm-byc member), and 6 golden cuckoo marans (also from pasofinofarm). I actually started the eggs in my Genesis bator and then switched to my friends brand new Brinsea bator. She was so nice to offer to let me try it out. I'm kind of worried about 4 eggs - I think they may have froze because they have alot of stuff floating around inside. It was my fault - I didn't know our weather was going to change so drastically. Any who - I'm hoping for a few babies at least.

6. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I have 30 bobwhite's in my incubator right now. They are due around the 9th. This is my first hatch ever as well.

I also have my broody silkie sitting on some eggs that are due Christmas day or the day after, I'm not quite sure.

7. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    That is so cool! All these expectant mothers getting ready to have close to Christmas babies!

8. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

This will be my 3rd try, dry incubation. The 1st humidity hatch was bad, I almost gave up entirely. The second dry hatch I was testing fertility and got half the eggs to hatch out very well and they are Ee chicks but it looks like all four (dogs got one when it flew over my head and landed on the floor, can't blame the dogs, they are hunting dogs and it was a lil boy bird) are bent to be boys! They'll have to go to the freezer unless I put their "sire" in the freezer cause he's too rough on the ladies and then choose one of them to keep. Their daddy is a hugh and beautiful roo but he's wearing the feathers off the backs of his hens and my other three roo's don't do that!

This dry hatch has over 30 eggs that are mostly EE's (LF) and banties. The banty eggs/chicks will be white egg layers and a combination of blue, splash and silver chicks. There will be just a couple BOxRIR. There are also eggs from my banty roo and his BO or BR hens that lay a humongous egg.

I'm testing this method again to perfect it so when my wyandotte banty pullet begins mating w/the banty roo I can hatch out those, to build up a buff/white meaty and very large egg layer flock.

9. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm very excited about ShellieD's goose egg hatching:) I'm waiting to see if any of my yearling Am Buff geese (4) is a gander to mate w/the others. I've got six geese and the two eldest are only 7 yrs old, both girls that raised the American Buffs like they were their own. Since they seem to be full sized in 2-4 months, I'll eventually have a full freezer from that flock each year.

I've got four young silkies and only one is a girls so far...so I'll be increasing those at some point! I love my LF BO's even though they eat the most, they are the daily sunshine we don't get in reality. You just can't be a RIR bantam or LF for the warm red color, personality and large eggs, I started out w/8 and now only have 3 standard. My xDH and his DW are going to keep my bantam RIR trio for me in OR and send me hatching eggs! So those will be coming at some point:)

My plan was to have meaty and large egg layers in bantams but also an EE Large Fowl flock along w/the geese and ducks and I hope I can stay close to that plan...its a constant n daily struggle! And, they are all pets but at some point they go into the freezer unless its one I just can't bear to part with...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Thanks snowydiamonds, I'm pretty excited myself! This egg was shipped to me from MO, JMajors sent this one and one other, plus some duck eggs. 2 duck eggs and the other goose egg were broken (one duck only had a crack, so it's in the bator). This is the 2nd time she has sent me goose eggs, the last time I got 4, and none of them developed very far, if at all. But this one has very good veins, so I'm surprised, and happy! Now if I can just get it to hatch, I'll be doing good!

How do you like your buff geese? Me and a few people in my area are ordering goslings from metzer farms this spring, and the buffs are the ones I chose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by