1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who's hatching (hatched) Silkie eggs from Jan, tpflabs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fox, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Fox

Fox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have mine in the incubator and have about 8 fertile I think. I was just wondering how many fertile eggs most had and how many hatched out. I am so hopeful! I also have some Ameraucana's in there too, but maybe only 4 or 5 fertile, but it's harder to see in those.

I am using a Little Giant with a turner, just for info.

I just thought it would be neat to see and hear about all the offspring of the batches of eggs sold back in March and early April!

2. Fox

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Anyone?

3. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Well I just had my first hatch which was a total disaster! I started with 22 silkie eggs, took 7 out for infertility & bloodrings. Out of 15 left, I had one hatch on day 20 but died less than 24 hrs of hatching. [​IMG] I had another in there making noises that had pipped but never zipped. After 36 hrs I decided to intervene and saw that it had died. Shell and membrane was very hard. [​IMG] I think my hygrometers were off. At day 23 and no more pips or noises in days I decided to pull the plug. All 13 had a fully developed chick in it, and ALL of them were shrink wrapped and dead. Definately a humidity problem I think...BUT I did open the bator on day 22 to get the hatched chick out because she got her foot stuck in the wire bottom. I would've never opened it if it wasn't for that. I put her in a hatcher and in less than an hour she was dead. So I didn't have a good hatch at all. Out of 22 eggs, I have nothing. BUT I did learn alot through all of this and I am calibrating all of my thermometers & hygrometers tonight. That way I will be ready for the next time! I hope everything goes well with your hatch! I also have an LG still air, with turner. I do know that it is very hard to 'up' the humidity the last 3 days in the LG. Good Luck!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Fox

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:I'm sorry you had a bad hatch! How frustrating for you. It does sound like a humidity issue. On my first LG try I only had one egg hatch and the rest didn't make it, but none seemed really dry. They just seemed in the wrong position, none through the air-cell.

I'm hoping that things will be better this go round for me. With several thermometer/gauges in there, I sure hope I get it right. I have 8 fertile I think, so I'm really hopeful for this hatch!

5. shack

shack Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2009
    elkmont,ala.
    One of my Buff Silkie Hens is setting on 18 eggs,will hatch in about 2 weeks.
    shack

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  6. Fox

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:Terrific! I hope you get a great hatch!! How in the world did you get her to cover so many eggs? My hen can only sit about 8 eggs well.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  7. shack

shack Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2009
    elkmont,ala.
    [ My Silkie hen covering 18 eggs.[​IMG] mg][/img][​IMG]

8. Fox

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:Well, she sure looks snug as a bug in there! How perfect! Maybe my hen could sit more, or maybe she's just smaller. [​IMG] What neat pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by