Who's holding out...?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by QuailNewbee, Sep 27, 2013.

1. QuailNewbee

QuailNewbee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    Short of separating the girls out or watching them; how can you tell who is laying?

I have 5 hens...only been getting 4 eggs for a while. I realize that maybe not all of the hens might be laying every day. I know there is a theory on chicken leg color ( or lack thereof) that indicates who is laying... can the same apply to quail?

Or does someone have a different technique?

Thank you

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Well, if you have "vent sexed" them, then there should be nothing to worry about. Just like children, some mature faster than others. I had 1 hen I thought was a male with 4 other hens, until I had 5 eggs; and that was at 10 weeks.
    James

3. QuailNewbee

QuailNewbee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    They were all consistently laying ( when I had all 6 hens). I was getting 6 eggs without fail. I lost my "bully" hen to some critter...cat...or snake or something. I had to separate her from the rest of the crew. Placed her and the roo that was getting beat up , in a makeshift pen. When I purchased them I knew I had 2 roos and 6 hens. They were all together and all the hens were laying.

My question is not a matter of ' I can't tell who is male and female' . I'd rather not continue to feed something that isn't producing for me.

My bad, as I should have been more clear with my question. Maybe I'll get lucky and see who is holding out...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by