Who's holding out...?

QuailNewbee

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 4, 2013
Short of separating the girls out or watching them; how can you tell who is laying?

I have 5 hens...only been getting 4 eggs for a while. I realize that maybe not all of the hens might be laying every day. I know there is a theory on chicken leg color ( or lack thereof) that indicates who is laying... can the same apply to quail?

Or does someone have a different technique?

Thank you

James the Bald

Songster
7 Years
Jan 6, 2013
Short of separating the girls out or watching them; how can you tell who is laying?

I have 5 hens...only been getting 4 eggs for a while. I realize that maybe not all of the hens might be laying every day. I know there is a theory on chicken leg color ( or lack thereof) that indicates who is laying... can the same apply to quail?

Or does someone have a different technique?

Thank you

Well, if you have "vent sexed" them, then there should be nothing to worry about. Just like children, some mature faster than others. I had 1 hen I thought was a male with 4 other hens, until I had 5 eggs; and that was at 10 weeks.
James

QuailNewbee

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 4, 2013
They were all consistently laying ( when I had all 6 hens). I was getting 6 eggs without fail. I lost my "bully" hen to some critter...cat...or snake or something. I had to separate her from the rest of the crew. Placed her and the roo that was getting beat up , in a makeshift pen. When I purchased them I knew I had 2 roos and 6 hens. They were all together and all the hens were laying.

My question is not a matter of ' I can't tell who is male and female' . I'd rather not continue to feed something that isn't producing for me.

My bad, as I should have been more clear with my question. Maybe I'll get lucky and see who is holding out...

Top Bottom