Who's kept a rooster inside?

Margiechickmom

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 4, 2013
Rural NE North Carolina
Here is my dilemma. I have a rooster that is 6 months old. I am trying to give him away but no one seems to want him. Go figure! Anyway, the immediate problem is that my neighbor is complaining about him. They are having their daughter's wedding reception outside on Saturday evening. If I can't get him gone (which doesn't look likely) and I know I can't kill him, question is, has anyone ever tried putting a rooster in their bathroom? I'm thinking maybe if I locked him in my 1/2 bath during the reception that would be an immediate temporary solution? How much mess could he make in a few hours?

That is, if I don't kill him trying to catch him and get him inside.......he's gotten mean and is determined to attack me.

Ugh....I feel so stressed right now.

If you move him inside, do not give him free reign in the bathroom. He will make a BIG mess. Put him in a dog crate or well ventilated box. "He's gotten mean and is determined to attack you"? I think that it is time for him to move on to a better place - coq au vin or the stew pot.

I put a rooster in a dog crate (with food/water/bedding) in the dark garage while we were having an outdoor party. I knew the kids would want to see the chickens, and I wanted to avoid a small child/rooster crisis. He was quiet all day and back to owning the place as soon as the last guest left.

If you have to, give him some treats, then catch him while he's eating.

Ya, I wouldn't be letting him have free run of the bathroom, that is going to get rather messy, how much can a chicken poop and fling it around in a couple of hours. If it is only for a few hours, go with the crate/box idea and keep him in the dark. If he is a problem to catch and you are not sure you can in daylight, you might be best off to catch him the night before and keep him in all day with food and water. I've kept injured chickens in dog crates for a week and they have handled it fine. The other bathroom idea might be if you have a shower/tub with solid/glass doors you could keep him in, he might make a mess, but it would be easy to wash up ...
Have you tried Craigs List for him? That seems to be the go to method of placing roosters. How about the place that you buy your chicken feed?

I kept a very gentle rooster inside, and we let him walk around with a diaper...but a mean one....no way would I let a mean one loose in any room in my house. That bird would go in a box...or better yet...the crock pot.

I'm with Sourland on this one. Do not, ever, keep an animal that attacks you. That is a death sentence right there. Mean Roosters Taste Better!

To catch a roo, wait until he's asleep and take him off the roost. You can use a blanket or coat or something to help confine him if he's very large or you're that nervous about handling him. Put him in a crate or kennel or even just a big cardboard box with holes. I think the phrase "how much mess could he make in a few hours?" is one of those things you're sorely regret saying!

Don't rehome a mean rooster, at least not without full disclosure. If you can't bring yourself to butcher him, find someone to just dispose of him for you. In your area, surely you can find someone to just pop him for you.

Thanks, everyone. I may bring a dog house into the bathroom and put him in it.

I don't plan on keeping him. He's driving me crazy. But I can't kill him--I hatched him from an egg. I can't convince my husband to do it either. I haven't gone to Craigslist--yet. My son has a friend that has free ranging chickens who said he could come there--I'm just waiting to make sure his parents said it was OK too. (Teen boy says yes, must have parents OK).

But Craigslist for him soon. The problem is I'm leaving town this afternoon and I'm only returning tomorrow in time for the wedding. I'll have to stop home in my attending the wedding clothes and tackle a rooster. This will be fun!

Well, as it turns out I did find a home for him. My son's friend's parents said it would be OK for him to live there. After I exhausted him by chasing him around with a bath towel, he finally gave up and let me catch him. I kind of miss the crowing but I definitely don't miss having to carry a baseball bat into the chicken pen.

Awesome news today! My rooster is getting along wonderfully at his new home. The other roosters at the house accepted him with no problem, there's been no fighting. The people like him too and think he's pretty (which he is). Couldn't have turned out better.

Back
Top Bottom