Who's laying all these eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PDXRN, Dec 5, 2009.

1. PDXRN

PDXRN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    I need some help. My wife went out to the coop today and found 4 eggs. She had checked the last 3 days and nothing then she found 4. One of them she said was burried in the egg box so it could have been layed the day before. We have 1 Barred Rock who I know is laying. We also have an Ameraucana , a Polish a Houdan all 6 months old. We also have a SLW who I think is a roo and a Buff Orp. that are maybe 18 weeks old at the most *unsure of age because we sort of rescued them). I have seen the Ameraucana in the egg box but she is suppossed to lay green or blue eggs rarely pink. So Here's the pics who's who?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    double check that SLW roo. Maybe it's a point of lay pullet, with newly red combs and wattles?

ETA -- is your Ameraucana from a hatchery or breeder, because if it's really an EE, you could be getting brown eggs there. Also, if your BO's are maybe a little older than 18 weeks, you could be getting something there, as well.

Pics of the possible choices would be nice. [​IMG] We love to help!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  3. PDXRN

PDXRN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    here are the potential layers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. OrpingtonManor

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    well, no question that you have a roo! [​IMG]
    Your BO doesn't look mature enough to be laying. Polish and Houdan's are supposed to lay white eggs.

Have you seen blue or green eggs yet to confirm that the Ameraucana really does lay that color egg? The pics that you posted don't have any that look like Ameraucana's because they don't have slate legs. I'm thinking you probably got an EE, and are getting brown eggs from her.

5. PDXRN

PDXRN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    So you think thats a SLW Roos in the first two pictures? I know we have one Roo for sure the one in the last pic with the single comb is a different SLW. I was really hoping that the little SLW was a hen but I really don't think it is. We will have to re-home that one I guess can't have two Roos I feel like I'm pushing my luck with my neighbors with one already. The Ameraucauna's legs are greenish grey.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    First 2 pics is a pullet. Last pic shows a rooster.

I think your SLW in the first pic gave you the eggs. And you EE looks ready to lay. (if not already, soon) EE's can lay any color egg. I agree you BO doesn't look mature enough yet, so it's not her.

7. OrpingtonManor

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    the only pic with a roo is the last one, and he is definitely a roo. is the first pic a SLW (and the second pic with the BO)? I wasn't sure if that was your Houdan. It looked too black for a SLW. If a SLW, yes, brown eggs there. Have you gotten any green or blue eggs yet? Your Ameraucana's legs look too yellow, unless the third pic is not true color. You never know what you will get from an EE.

8. PDXRN

PDXRN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    the first pic has the SLW and yes it's dark. That is the one I think might be a roo, maybe not thuogh. The second pic is the Same SLW with our B.O. The last two are of our older Ameraucana I think her legs are slate colored might just be the lighting of the picture. But maybe it's her. No eggs today we will have to see about tomorrow. And we have not got any green or blue eggs yet. Only the the tan ones. And thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  9. PDXRN

PDXRN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Found another light tan egg today. This time in the middle of the hen house.

10. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You may never get green or blue eggs...we bought what were sold as Ameraucanas, but which I later found were EE's. The first EE layer lays light tan/cream colored eggs. The other two EE's give us olive green eggs, the one with a slight blue tint to it. EE's can lay cream,pink, tan, blue, or green eggs, and every color in between [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by