1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who's laying? Can Welsummers lay light eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cherylcohen, Jan 10, 2010.

1. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    OK just this week we've been getting about 7 eggs a day. I've been trying to match eggs to chickens and have been visiting the coop almost hourly trying to catch who is laying what. I've identified 5 egg/chicken relationships but my big quandary is that I have a beautiful Welsummer - wilma (she's 8 1/4 months old) that I don't think is laying UNLESS she may be laying a light brown egg...does that ever happen?

I know I'm nutz trying to figure this out, but it's fun!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Girls Beatrice Mildred Wilma Blanche Rita Flo Gracie Harriet Mabel Emma Lizzie
    weeks 36 35 33 30 29 28 28 28 27 27 23
    months 9 8.75 8.25 7.5 7.25 7 7 7 6.75 6.75 5.75

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    If she's a hatchery bird, it's fairly likely that she's laying light eggs. I think.

They're very pretty!

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I agree with the comment above. Looks like Wilma is laying by the color and size of her combs. If she comes from a hatchery, they either would lay the proper color or not. And it is possible that Wilma is laying a light colored egg.

Good luck!

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    The last egg in rows 1 & 3 and the 2nd to last in row 2 are most likely from your Welsummer. Based upon her age and looks they are most likely hers. Where did you get her from? Unfortunately there are a lot of pretty birds out there that do not meet breed standards. That doesn't make them bad but they will never give you truly dark eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by