Who's laying the giant eggs?

kyckling66

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 23, 2012
Prairieville, LA
Hi everyone,

I'm a fairly new chicken owner, and my pullets just started laying about a week ago. I have six chickens, each a different breed. I'm getting two eggs a day, and one is enormous. I know the smaller egg is the Buff Orpington, because I caught her in the act. The others are a Rhode Island Red, a Silver Laced Wynadotte, a Plymouth Rock, a Red Sex-link, and a Cuckoo Maran (which I've ruled out because of the egg color). Anyone have any idea which of those breeds would lay a huge egg?

My red star lays the biggest eggs out of all of them. We put her eggs in large sized cartons, she is also the only one that has laid any double-yolkers! :)

Mac14, you were right! I finally saw her do it. It is my red sex-link!
Ya, I like them a lot. I'm getting another one in the spring.
wee.gif

My rhode islands get pretty good sized eggs and they seem to be the most productive layers. Watch the RIR and see what she lays, may also be her to. I'll post a photo of today and yesterday's gatherings. Some of these out do a store bought egg. I also have to just put them in a bowl.

We got a HUGE egg yesterday...wouldn't even fit in the carton...first one of those for us...hmmmm?? We have 11 RIR, 3 Ameraucana, 2 Buff Orpington, 1 Silver Lace Wyndotte.

My RIR and Barred Rock both lay eggs about the same size. They are big, but not giant like my Red Sex-link's egg. My Buff Orpington and SL Wyandotte aren't laying yet (still waiting like an expectant mother) so I'll have to let you know if either produces a giant egg as well :)

Back
Top Bottom