Who's laying what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by New Beginnings, May 8, 2016.

1. New Beginnings

New Beginnings Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2015
    UPSTATE NY
    I'm trying to figure out who's laying which eggs and who's not producing. All 6 hens are young and still within production age but some aren't laying for some reason and I don't know why? I only had 1 hen left from last year's chicks as something killed all my other chickens and ducks. So I took Pretty Mama and put her in the garage to protect her. Then a few weeks ago I bought 5 more hens from a friend who's moving and they were all laying at her house daily. So I currently have:
    Barred Rock (My survivor)
    Rhode Island Red
    2 Buff Orpington's
    Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
    Mutt (RIR & Golden Comet)

I get 3 or 4 eggs a day but no way to tell which ones are actually laying, which eggs they are laying and which ones are not? I can upload pictures of eggs tomorrow evening (they are evening layers) since we already ate the ones from today.

2. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm no chicken expert by any means, but could the stress of moving to your house put the hens off laying? Were you getting more eggs at first?

3. New Beginnings

New Beginnings Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2015
    UPSTATE NY
    The first day I brought them here they didn't lay anything but then 2 days in a row I got 5 eggs. Then 3 eggs for 2 or 3 days and now 4 seems to be the magic number.

4. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmm... I'm curious to see what others are going to share here. Maybe your Barred Rock isn't laying.. stressed from the new chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by