Who's mah daddy? :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by featherz, Dec 4, 2010.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    This is a bantam barnyard mix chick, about six weeks old. So far it's looking girly compared to its broodermates, but I may be rehoming her today as part of a deal to rehome seven cockerels and I'm curious what the mix is. Per the BYC'er who gave me the egg, my guess is mom was a silkie (choices for mom are lakenvelder,ee,rir,silkie,new hampshire,red star,production reds).

Dad could either be EE, Lakenvelder or Black australorp. Chick has five toes, feathered shanks, pink skin and appears to be bearded. EE X Silkie, perhaps?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

EE with a NH would be my guess

3. NottinghamChicks

Quote:OOOOps didn't see the five toes so it has to be a Silkie but still perhaps with a NH. Cute!! [​IMG]

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Yah, definitely a bantam! And five toes, too.. It's in with mille fleur d'uccle hatchmates and is the same size.. Not sure daddy can be a NH, since that's not listed as a daddy choice.. Of course, who knows? [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You must have Faverolle in the parent flock, because that chick has Faverolle in it.

The chick has a single comb, five toes, feathered shanks, beard/muffs, and the color to prove her Salmon Faverolle parentage. The other half of her I'd say is Lakenvelder.

A Silkie in the mix would create a small top-hat, dark pigmented skin, and a more "squat" looking body type.

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Interesting! I did have salmon favorelles in the hatch from another person although only three hatched and they are the usual coloring - two darker males and one tan female. Maybe this is a mutt egg from THAT person that accidentally got in the mix...

7. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:i agree

8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    The other thing to note it could have gotten from a Fav is the pink skin. I has some SF and Sal Blue Favs I hatched out this spring and one was all white. Mine were standard, but this could very well be all Fav if she had both hens and roos that were pure.
    She is cute and Favs are really calm and quiet. I got rid of mine just because I had way too many chickens and too many breeds to deal with.
    Good luck, she is cute.

9. NottinghamChicks

Quote:That was my first thought also, but it wasn't listed by the chicken mom [​IMG]

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    thanks guys! So this could just be an unusually colored non mixed favorelle? Most of the favorelle eggs in the hatch failed to develop, so that's entirely possible. I thought I had smaller mutt eggs, but maybe this one got mixed up with one of those.

Would this color pattern be female? I know with favorelles the females feather in brown/tan and the boys are black. I do have two black feathered boys and one tan feathered girl.

I'd love to keep this chick, but throwing a possible girl in the mix is the only way I can convince someone to take my SEVEN males.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by