Who's more stubborn, me or a bunch of cackling ol' biddies?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, Sep 13, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I changed the majority of the nestboxes in one coop this week, getting them off the floor. I left two of the original nestboxes. I love the new boxes. The chickens, not so much. With the exception of one girl that has picked out a new box as her fave, all the other hens are cramming into the two original boxes.

They won't be getting their old boxes back. I'm wondering how long they will boycott the new boxes? [​IMG]

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Now come on, who're you trying to please. You or the chickens. Best be careful, they may boycott and runaway.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:They best be careful. They run too far they'll end up down at the neighbors commercial houses and from there on a truck to the processing plant, with the rest of the poor souls.

4. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I built new raised boxes into my coop this weekend, and I just went ahead and removed the old boxes completely. I just put their dummy eggs in one of the three new ones I built, I didn't put shavings or hay in 2 of the 3 so as not to completely BLOW THEIR MINDS at the choices. The went straight to the new boxes, no issue. I even changed the coop to deep litter and was expecting some of them to sneak eggs into the litter, but having those big spacious new nest boxes they went straight to them.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Who is more stubborn, Gritty or her hens?????

I refuse to comment. [​IMG]

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:So, the Princess has trained you right; contrary to popular opinion. [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The training is an ongoing process. Yes, I am becoming semi domesticated after 47 years. [​IMG]

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Good for you! The only domestic thing about Keith is that he lives in a house. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by