Who's my daddy? update post 11

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by piecemaker, Sep 5, 2008.

1. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Ok I'm pretty sure Mom is a Sumatra. Although I was hatched my a very sweet silkie lady. She has been a good mom to my sister and or brother. Now Dad I'm just not to sure of. Here are my choices
    1 silikie
    2 1/2 silike 1/2 white leg horn
    3 RIR don't think it's him cuz I have black feet but my skin is not dark.
    Please help me I'm so confussed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    silkie for sure.. not sure if SIlkieX leghorn.. or Silkie though, maybe leghorn due to all the white?

3. First To Hatch

First To Hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    reminds me of a praire chicken lol

4. piecemaker

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Quote:ok I'm confussed
    Mom is a Sumatra There is no full leghorn just a silkie leghorn cross. So you think dad could be the silkie/ leghorn cross and not the full silkie roo

Do you think I am a chick [​IMG] or roo [​IMG]

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    correct. i think the SilkieXleghorn.. Looks like a hen

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    It has barring and crest and leg feathering. Those are dominant which means it had to have parents who had at least some of those traits each.

If this is a girl, and the silkie rooster does not have barring, he is not the father. Is the silkie-leghorn cross white? what color? If he is also colored but does not have barred feathers.. then this couldn't have come from the sumatra hen.. if you have a barred rock or a white hen(white covers up colors and patterns), it is probably hers and likely make this a male unless the leghorn cross has barring in him(likely as it is common for white leghorn stocks to have barring in them as it helps clear up the white).

RIR is defnitely not the father, as they do not have barring. Unless the barring came from a hen with barring..

7. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkie X Leghorn I would guess. The bird in the picture is carrying yellow skin gene. And if she doesn't have black skin (check under the wing) then it should not be from the pure silkie rooster.
    The barring confuses me a bit. Do you have pics of the possible fathers?
    But I would say the cross rooster is the daddy anyways.

8. piecemaker

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Quote:This is the cross roo glad you said she when you referred to the chick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    What other hens do you have?

10. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    As I said, barring is common in white leghorn stocks.

Let me try again. If there are no barred birds in the flock such as barred rocks or barred silkies then it's extremely likely the cross roo is the father due to the simple reasons that barring is dominant and common in white leghorn stocks.

If there are any barred birds in the flock, it is a very strong candidate as being one of the parent for this reason. (I suspect that is why some asked about other hens- to see if there's something like a barred rock hen)

The rooster is showing some black feathers. Should be able to see a vague hint of a diluted bar or two on some of those, although barring expression can be inconsistent, as evidenced on the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by