who's my father?

bibliophile birds

Songster
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
Great Smoky Mtns, Tennessee
my little partridge silkie hatched out two of her own chicks. they are most definitely not out of my gray silkie roo. so now i'm trying to figure out who the father is, because one of them is a total stunner!

the beauty. check out those tail feathers! i want 10 more like this one!
37481_139102599445278_138871089468429_253161_1807229_n.jpg

42382_dscf7207.jpg

the other one
42382_dscf7196.jpg

the options for the dads are: buff Brahma, buff Orp, or EE.

i was leaning towards Brahma, but i don't know where the white feathers on that first one came from...

eta: they are 10 weeks now. both have very black legs and very small, black combs. they are much bigger than my silkies were at that age, but noticeably smaller than the standard chicks they hatched with.

Last edited:
Quote:
i've been having a sneaking suspicion that that is the case. i'm not particularly ecstatic about it, but it's not terrible. if they are both males, the darker one will be up for grabs if anyone is interested.

now to convince my EE roo that his new job is to breed all the new partridge silkies that i got and hope they look like the first one!

The EE is the dad for sure becuase he is had Dominant white and that is where the white is coming from in the tail and hackles of the first one. Niether Buff Brahmas, Buff Orps, or Partridge Silkies have Dom White so he is where it had to came from and if you bred him to Partridge Silkies you will keep getting about half and half, White tails and Black tails just as the first two worked out to being.

My Silkie roo mated with a EE and the babies are all over the place in color and size!! They are all very similiar to the EE but have fluffy heads like the silkie. The closest to white I got is a splash roo with white as his base color. He has the EE comb with silkie feet....crazy!

Back
Top Bottom