Who's my mama/ Unknown Baby ID Help?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 1MrsMagoo, Jul 3, 2011.

1. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Hello BYC resident duck experts. The mother of my daughter's softball coach gifted me some of her duck eggs last month and I now have two lovely ducklings that hatched today (a third is working its way out). She did not know what sort of ducks her daughter has and I am not even sure these are pure bred ducks. Softball is over and I have been unable to reach the coach to ask about her ducks. So, I submit for your approval and educated guesses.....(sorry the second photo is a bit blurry)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh, and I don't know if it is normal for whatever sort of ducks these are, but their down coat is very bristly...unlike my rouens or runners who were fluffy and soft. The darker duckling has a black beak and feet and the one with the yellow has a pink beak and feet with black spots, but black legs.

Thanks for any help you may be able to render.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    I'm not completely sure but the pink billed baby might be a Magpie or Ancona duck or something. The mostly black duckling could be a black Swedish.

3. 1MrsMagoo

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    I had found the magpie and ancona duckling photos and thought the one looked close too. Thanks for responding and have a lovely week.

4. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:You are so welcome.[​IMG]
    You too.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:They sure are cuties.. I [​IMG] baby ducklings, have 1 thats a month old now.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I would say they are Swedish crosses.

7. 1MrsMagoo

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Quote:Thanks Miss Lydia...what kind of duck do you have?.
    I [​IMG] duckies too. My pre-teen daughter used her own money to buy two Rouen ducklings at the feed store this spring (both turned out to be drakes, but sweeties) and I had purchased some runner duck eggs that hatched a month ago: I have 5 one month old faun and white runners.

Here is our runners this afternoon: Puddles, Paddles, Wadell, P Ducky, and Buttercrunch
    [​IMG]

Waddles and Doodles exiting their pool today:
    [​IMG]

8. 1MrsMagoo

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Quote:Thanks. I was hoping the one with the black beak and feet may have a bit of that in there. Either way, I am sure they will be super cute when grown![​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Thanks Miss Lydia...what kind of duck do you have?.
    I [​IMG] duckies too. My pre-teen daughter used her own money to buy two Rouen ducklings at the feed store this spring (both turned out to be drakes, but sweeties) and I had purchased some runner duck eggs that hatched a month ago: I have 5 one month old faun and white runners.

Here is our runners this afternoon: Puddles, Paddles, Wadell, P Ducky, and Buttercrunch
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/46932_dscf0611.jpg

Waddles and Doodles exiting their pool today:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/46932_dscf0608.jpg

They are so pretty, I really would love to have some runner oneday. I have 8 adult Muscovies and this lil duckling mama rejected her the other one died in the egg and one dud, so I am mama duck and she is my baby. She is my avatar.

10. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Those are magpie's. If they're purebreds forsure magpie's. If they're mixes then magpie crosses:lol:.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by