Who's my mommy??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by steffpeck, Jun 29, 2008.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Ok, I know the daddy is a dominique roo, but I cannot figure out who the mommy is. [​IMG] I have dominique hens, golden comet hens and buff orpington hens. I am fairly certain that the dom hens are not the mom. This little thing has a single comb, but is so different from the rest of the hatch that I have no clue who the mom is. Can you help me??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My brothers and sisters

[​IMG]

2. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    AWW very cute. I would think its from your comet hens and is a through back on the white side as a sex link high-breed will not breed true.
    And I bet as it feathers out it will be spoted with black like a splash.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I did the "which of these chicks is not like the rest" thing with my son whos three [​IMG] He got it right! LOL great picture for that. Cute baby! I couldn't help you figure out who the mommy is tho.

4. steffpeck

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Thanks! I found pictures of the Golden Comets as chicks and they had very orange legs, and some were almost as light as this one, so I bet your right that it is the Golden's. This little one was the last to hatch, and I was SHOCKED when it came out white, with the rest of them black. It sure is cute, that's for sure!

5. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    Your photos have such nice light. Do you wait for the "sweet light" of sunrise/sunset or do you alter your white balance?

6. steffpeck

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    The first 2 were taken at that "sweet time" at sunset. The one with the momma was in the coop with my flash on.

7. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Precious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Do I see water in the background? Do you have a farm on a lake or river or ocean? Beautiful!

8. steffpeck

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    No water, those are the mountains off in the distance. We do have the Great Salt Lake to the North of us about 8 -10 miles or so. Here is a picture from our backyard of the Lake & Antelope Island. This was taken in February of this year.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  9. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Is there any way the dom wasn't the father? The chicks should all come out barred if the male was a dominique...

10. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

That is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow. What a view you have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG] (inside and out. [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by