Who's NOT having turkey for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NoseyChickens, Nov 20, 2010.

1. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Anyone else out there not making a turkey for Thanksgiving? DH wants me to make roast beef. He figures it is less work and seeing as it is just us and the kids he doesn't see the point in me cooking for 10 hours for one meal. We are military and rarely travel anywhere for the holidays, so we usually spend them with just us. I suppose he is right, it is less work. But I know I will go overboard with the side dishes and deserts anyway. But for whatever reason I feel weird not making a turkey.

2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Well in theory my Sis's BF is going to do up some beer can up the bum chickens... and maybe ham too.

But that's IF they show. If not then it'll just be a ton of yummy veggies. For Lunch.

Then a few hours later off to turkey dinner at the In Laws...

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Gosh, I think it's a law here in Mississippi that you gotta have a turkey on thanksgiving.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:10 hours??? In what world does it take 10 hours to cook a turkey? I guess if its 75 lbs...... HAHAHA!

5. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Quote:10 hours??? In what world does it take 10 hours to cook a turkey? I guess if its 75 lbs...... HAHAHA!

I tend to over do. I miss big family holidays. So I get up early every year and start baking and I make everything from scratch. But no, it has never taken me that long to cook a turkey. I'm honestly not sure it will be any less work to make the roast. We actually bought a nice prime rib.

6. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    We'll have a green salad, four or five cheese no-meat lasagna, homemade bread, and cheesecake.

Yum!

This is our annual tradition.

Then, we'll have a pumpkin pie that night. [​IMG]

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I tend to over do. I miss big family holidays. So I get up early every year and start baking and I make everything from scratch. But no, it has never taken me that long to cook a turkey. I'm honestly not sure it will be any less work to make the roast. We actually bought a nice prime rib.

I am blessed. Honestly. We have our big meal on Saturday after, and I laze around on Thanksgiving, cook on Friday and most of Saturday is just basting the bird.

8. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Have no fear.... No Turkey here....[​IMG]

Turkey...Boring Are you not sick of the same old thing year after year after year...Break it up a bit...Have some fun...[​IMG]

This year we were in the mood for a old family recipe.....Venison Sauerbraten with ginger snap gravy, Rotkohl (German Red Cabbage), spaetzle and potato dumplings..

For us having Venison is a good way to give thanks to Mother earth for her bounties... As Thanksgiving is during the season in which we harvest our Deer, and cabbage and potatoes are also plentiful here..

We have Turkey maybe every 3rd year or so...[​IMG]

ON

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    My dh wants cornish hens.I may do some steak as well.I got a book with some 200 garlic recipes,so I am making some of those as sides. I think last year I did a beef stir fry. I will buy some small turkeys for later. I really hated cooking the big turkeys.Never could get them cooked properly.

10. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    When I wa growing up, we usually had ham and kielbasa, cabbage, pickled herring and beets, pierogi, all the good Polish stuff. It wasn't until I was about 9 or 10 years old that my family started eating "American food" on Thanksgiving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by