Who's Our Daddy? ??? x Golden Laced

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Coopa Cabana, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    When I got my pair of Golden Laced Bantam Cochins earlier this year, I waited a full 3 weeks before I started collecting eggs to hatch. Out of the first eggs I collected, these two little guys hatched. Obviously, Mom was still fertile from some other roo, as the pair were kept by themselves once I got them. Any ideas as to who the Daddy(s), is? Jazz hatched 5/22; Calypso hatched 5/26. I think I'm going to keep Calypso - his colors are very intriguing and I want to see how he matures. The breeder I got my pair from also raises and shows Birchen, Mottled, Partridge, and Brown Red, among other colors.

Jazz:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Calypso:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No idea, but they are really cute!

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Wow! I'd keep them both. I would have thought they were part of an MF project. No idea who the dad could be though!

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    mottle... mum must be a carrier too...

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jazz looks like a MF project - lol. I'd say Golden Laced X Mottled.

Calypsp - looks like a Gold Laced X Patridge or mottled as well. [​IMG]

6. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Love the coloring on the first pics,very neat looking,i never seen that before

7. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Quote:Guess I need to head back to my genetics books! Here's what I'm remembering - Golden Laced x Mottled is, I believe, the formula for Tollbunt.

I believe that both Golden Laced and Partridge are eb, and both also carry the Pg pattern gene. I think the biggest difference between the two may be that Golden Laced also carry the Co Columbian gene, and there is no Columbian in the Partridge. But from there, I have no idea what you get when you cross the two.

As far as future breeding, probably the best will be to put Calypso back on his mother, the Golden Laced, and see where that takes me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by