1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

who's pecking the eggs ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cowcreekchick, Jan 27, 2011.

1. cowcreekchick

cowcreekchick Just Hatched

Sep 11, 2010
    One (?) of my chickens is pecking eggs )-= I've read up on different causes -- too crowded, etc -- but they don't apply to my girls. There are only 4, they have multiple nest boxes, and LOTS of room to roam. I have "explained" to them that this is NOT OK, but somebody is still at it. Ideas ?? Thanks!!

2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Only thing I can say is collect eggs several times a day. If you can identify the culprit that would be great you could isolate her. Also you could build rollaway nest boxes so the eggs wont temp her. Are they getting enough protein and calcium? hope you solve your delema!

3. cowcreekchick

cowcreekchick Just Hatched

Sep 11, 2010
    Thanks for replying ! I'm enjoying reading what other folks are up to:)
    I do check for eggs several times/day. and they do get oyster shell. Hmmmm.... does someone have info as to how to construct the roll-away egg set up ??

4. abqferreira

abqferreira Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    We have had a horrible time with the whole flock eating eggs this winter. We finally made a roll away nest box and that seems to have improved things considerably, although they still seem to lurk around the box when someone is laying just in case! It's brought me considerable peace of mind as well, not having to worry about getting to the egg as soon as it's laid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by