Who's picking on the new guy today?

allergymama

Songster
6 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Michigan
Help, please. Introduced 2 new hens and 1 new drake (7 months old) to existing flock of 4 hens, 2 drakes (4 1/2 months old) and a goose (3 months old) over the weekend. I am having to keep them separated still. Each day someone new decides to pick on the new drake (although he is holding his own). First day: original hens all picked on him, ganging up. Second day: hens again...the brats! Third day: original drakes decide to go for pinching and pulling feathers. Fourth day: goose gets into the act and chases him around.

I am keeping them separated except for an hour or so of "supervised play time" (yeesh! I feel like I'm their social services officer!), but what a pain in the butt! I just want harmony. Should I just let them have at it until it's out of their system? Is there something I can do to ease this transition? Are they just bullies? They don't seem to care about the new hens, but that may be because they are focusing on the drake. My originals free range during the day, so I'm keeping the newbies in the pen and then at night when originals come in, I make the newbies go in the duck house and close off the door between them.

My kids are being "traumatized" by all this not getting along. I make them play nice, why can't I make the ducks play nice?
hugs.gif

Can't we all just get along?

Help, please. Introduced 2 new hens and 1 new drake (7 months old) to existing flock of 4 hens, 2 drakes (4 1/2 months old) and a goose (3 months old) over the weekend. I am having to keep them separated still. Each day someone new decides to pick on the new drake (although he is holding his own). First day: original hens all picked on him, ganging up. Second day: hens again...the brats! Third day: original drakes decide to go for pinching and pulling feathers. Fourth day: goose gets into the act and chases him around.

I am keeping them separated except for an hour or so of "supervised play time" (yeesh! I feel like I'm their social services officer!), but what a pain in the butt! I just want harmony. Should I just let them have at it until it's out of their system? Is there something I can do to ease this transition? Are they just bullies? They don't seem to care about the new hens, but that may be because they are focusing on the drake. My originals free range during the day, so I'm keeping the newbies in the pen and then at night when originals come in, I make the newbies go in the duck house and close off the door between them.

My kids are being "traumatized" by all this not getting along. I make them play nice, why can't I make the ducks play nice?
hugs.gif

Can't we all just get along?
LOL... It takes time to integrate new flock members into an existing flock, they are intruders and must be shown that.lol keeping them separated with temp fencing it may take a week but most time longer and getting up tight with them just makes it worse. what your doing is good giving supervised time together but still it would probably just be better to let them live side by side for a while that way they get use to each other on their own time.When I have a new drake here and all are hatched here the older girls still have to let him know he isn't quite up to their standards they will chase him and also pull his feathers if he lets them get close enough just the way of the pecking order. It will come and you'll look out and see one flock together just be patient.

Thanks! Everyone I've talked to said "oh, I put my new ones in and there were no problems." Which isn't super helpful when they are squabbling. :)

I'm not very good at patient, but will work on it. :p

Back
Top Bottom