Who's starting today???UPDATE, Day 9 big bummer.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tororider, Jun 18, 2008.

1. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    Ok, I just set my second batch of eggs in the bator. This time around I got some eggs from MSU. I have some salmon faverolles, araucaunas, Rhode Island Reds, and Buff Orpingtons. Some of them are a bit old, almost two weeks, but I put them in just to see what happens.

Anybody else starting a batch right now so I can wait with you???

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I have some pheasants due today/tomorrow and Guineas that are due this 21st. Does this count?

I hate waiting

3. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    I am putting some eggs under a broody today. I will wait with you. I also have some in the mail on their way here. I will have to incubate them if my Broodys are done.

Buff orpingtons here now. Blue orps on the way.

4. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I'm putting some silkie eggs in from okcarla today! Woot! :) May put in a bunch of mixed eggs, too just because they're there, but I REALLY don't want to do that. *sigh*

5. Homegroanacres

Homegroanacres Chillin w/the Ice in my Glass

Apr 10, 2008
    Salem, Oregon
    Me!!

Loaded them up\\in at 11:15 AM PDT

This is my "ya better not tell" bator run. I am callin it
    my Fire Works Hatch. Of course that could meen
    they are all duds. [​IMG]

John

6. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

I just set 6 silkie eggs from Jenlynn. I dropped one! [​IMG] It did crack, so I used fingernail polish to patch, and set it anyway. I should know in a few days if it worked.

It only occurred to me later to check the internet to see how others would handle a cracked egg. Most said throw it away, but many said use elmers. Well, too late, but worth a try.

I set mine late tonight as the mailman left them in the heat on our porch today so I thought I should not wait til morning.

Now time to worry and wait until July 9th!

Jaybme

7. rroven

rroven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    I put 9 Serama eggs in the bator on the 16th, on the 17th 12 Cream Barbanters and 7 Golden Barbanters went in, and on the 18th I put in 9 more Serama's from a different breeder. This is my second hatch, my first hatch was a total washout. Too many problems with temps etc. but I have that all worked out now and the bator is running like it should. It will be nice to have hatch buddies this time around in case something goes wrong. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  8. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    Day one for six mixed polish. [​IMG] Due on the 9th July.

9. rroven

rroven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    I am so freaking out! That first hatch I was talking about that was a washout? I went to throw the 11 Salmon Favorelle eggs (Day 23) out that I just took out of my other bator and thought, better check, so I popped one open. Man, I felt so bad....it was a fully developed LIVE chick. So, the other 10 eggs went back in the bator post haste. I had alot of trouble throughout the whole hatch with high temps, low temps, could not seem to get it regulated until DH put a fan in it, just 3 days ago. Oh, and then they sat in a wet paper mache egg carton for 1.5 days before I noticed that....so I thought I might have drownd them....think there is any hope for the rest?

10. dbrberry

dbrberry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    i just put some in on monday.6 silver sebrights and 10 japanese bantams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by