Who's the biggest pest, and to whom: the cat or DBF?

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
Our two new baby chicks have started perching on the edge of the brooder, which is about up to my knee (I'm 5'8"). The cat in my avatar saw them tonight and started swatting at them. DBF and I both came running from other rooms to find Rudy being a naughty boy, but a cat nonetheless.

DBF goes ape.

He chases the cat around the cat, grabs him by the scruff of his neck and throws his butt outside. The cat is yowling because DBF is hurting him: he's an 18-lb, 12-year old cat who should not be held in this way. I'm yelling at DBF to at least support the cat's weight with one hand. In addition, this is a cat who rarely goes outside.

he.gif

Now, about an hour later, the cat has been allowed back inside.

Sooo... household status update:
* DBF is mad at cat, crying about Dumpling.
* Rudy (cat) has been let back in by yours truly. He's super clingy & upset. and in need of reassurance by me. Now he's seeking forgiveness from DBF.
roll.png

* Chicks in brooder finally settled down.
* Dumpling, our BR who could die tonight from a serious roundworm load, is in a box on the counter in the kitchen. We're checking on her every 45 minutes to get her to eat & drink in order to keep up her strength. She's got a light on her so that she can see the food/drink in case she wakes up on her own. It's all she can manage to get 2 sips of water before she slips back under.
* I finally remembered to lock up the 3 adults who are still outside.

I poured myself a glass of wine. I deserve it!

doh... spoke too soon. Chicks are back on the edge of the brooder and the resident feline, who hasn't hunted in years, is watching them. Oh... he just gave up watchign them in order to join us on the couch. good choice, cat.

Aww your DBF sounds like a huge keeper just not around your cat. I take it he fully supports a chicken addiction.

Hopefully cat will learn its lesson permanently so you don't have to worry about coming home with Rudy on the porch.

I'll be praying for dumpling to make it through so you all can have less stress there

ooh boy Jenn, yeah, you have your hands full! as you said the cat is just being a cat...but, it IS sweet that DBF cares so much..*sigh* gotta take the good with the bad i guess.... snuggle with the kitty..AND the DBF..
smile.png

The solution is simple:

Load up on sauerkraut and spend time near the brooder. Kitty won't go near there again, and neither will BF.

Yeah, we've got a screen to put on the brooder, just haven't dragged it into the house yet. We've got a blanket across most of the brooder. The chicks have taken to sitting on it - we call it "The Poop Deck".

OMG it's 4:50a and the little stinkers just come out for a visit. GO TO SLEEP! Dern poopers.

Things calmed down significantly after that post. Dumpling is still with us, but I suspect barely. Here's the thread w/ update: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=151466

It's
been 30 mins since I last checked on her. Going to go do so now.

Back
Top Bottom